Penn Surfblaster, Surfmaster- licensed or real Penns?

wader-dad

• 2 weeks later...

Wow. I use a TICA 9000 longcast reel. and I would love to field test the Penn long cast. It looks great and if sealed like the other SSV reels will have to end up in my arsenal. (P.S. I wish Penn had a trade up policy as I have the SSV 6500 and would have passed it up for the bailes model if I had known there was one. as well as the long cast model ). (hint). I would also suggest getting rid of the reverse switch on the long cast one way anti reverse is the only way to go especially in the surf where it would mostly be used. (one less water entry point).

• 2 weeks later...

I received the parts this week and hit a small snag on reassembly... Penn changed the thread on the spindle mid-production.  The new parts included the new quicker, quik-set drag spindle, so my spools and drag knob wouldn't fit.  I was able to swap out the new spindle with the old one and get everything going though.  I'll hang onto the other spindle in case I ever need to replace the spool (although, I'd have to get a new drag knob too if that happens).

All in all, I'm a huge fan of the spool and line lay on the SurfBlaster, but not so much on the gear strength or the waterproofing (now that I've had a look inside).  I'll be sure to pump the fish in much more deliberately and try to avoid dunking it as much as possible.  Customer service was top notch.

• 2 months later...

The Surfblaster 8000 broke again, this time it stopped oscillating while rotating, and not even under any load. In my estimation, the cause of the failure this time is the lackluster water/sandproofing. The bushing jumped the track on the worm shaft and cut a new groove of its own, probably from a few small grains of sand finding their way into the factory grooves and derailing the bushing.

I've been emailing Mick Simons twice a week about need for a replacement since Sept 20 and have not received a reply.

In the meantime my Fierce 8000 has been getting a workout, but sadly I'm knitting more than casting after respooling with 30 lb Suffix 832 - a bad match for that reel.

Any help getting Mick or an associate to respond would be appreciated.

Hi Techjunkie, I am responsible for PENN in Europe. Sorry for the delay, but if you send me your address I will make sure you will receive the shaft as soon as possible. It seems you´re unlucky, both the Affinity and Surfblaster reels are very well sold in Europe without having problems with the shaft. I must admit that fishing in the US is more rough than our style in Europe, but as mentioned I will solve your issue.

Regards,

Robert

Thanks, Robert. As it happens, Mick finally sent me a reply yesterday. He's been out on jury duty and is understandably behind on replies. He anticipates sendings parts on Monday. I'll reach out to you if I don't hear back from him again with confirmation of that happening.

I'm considering packing the reel with grease to help keep sand and water out. Good idea?

• 4 months later...

The Spinfisher V is not water tight anyway so why bother putting seals every where but the main shaft. I have the 4500LL and all the seals did was hold the water in so it would not drain out when I stored it in the upright position. A better design would to make all the parts out of a non corrosive material and make it easy to take it apart so it can be cleaned and greased after every use. Like Surfmaster 250 says "KEY WORD: SIMPLE"

• 1 month later...

For what it's worth I'm in the UK. What a load of old codswallop it is that the UK is easier on reels. Cods(wallop ---- get it?)

Hauling good sized cod, rays and hard fighting bass is no different here. They don't throw themselves onto the beach for us. 

The northeast coastline especially, as well as marks around the south coast and Ireland are rocky, deep and strewn with massive beds of kelp. Try dragging fish through that lot. It ain't the Florida Keys.

It isn't in any way surf fishing from sandy beaches.

I'm currently about to order my first Penn Surblaster, the 7000 model for use in these conditions so am I wrong in choosing it?

I've found that other manufacturer reels, Shimano for example, have the same number on the reel for two different models. As do Penn. The Shimano Olivio is more or less the same as their Exage. Only difference being that the Exage uses bearings instead of the bushes on the handle. The extra cost is beyond belief. Apart from the very minor difference to use bearings instead of bushes which nevertheless cost something to use, there is nothing to make the Exage a worthwhile purchase. Better get the Olivio and have the bushes replaced before they wear their seating.

I suspect the same is true of the Penn Surfblaster and Surfmaster. Maybe I'm wrong but if Penn can't confirm it, I guess the default answer is as stated.

For what it's worth I'm in the UK. What a load of old codswallop it is that the UK is easier on reels. Cods(wallop ---- get it?)

Hauling good sized cod, rays and hard fighting bass is no different here. They don't throw themselves onto the beach for us. 

The northeast coastline especially, as well as marks around the south coast and Ireland are rocky, deep and strewn with massive beds of kelp. Try dragging fish through that lot. It ain't the Florida Keys.

I'm currently about to order my first Penn Surblaster, the 7000 model for use in these conditions so am I wrong in choosing it?

I've found that other manufacturer reels, Shimano for example, have the same number on the reel for two different models. As do Penn. The Shimano Olivio is more or less the same as their Exage. Only difference being that the Exage uses bearings instead of the bushes on the handle. The extra cost is beyond belief. Apart from the very minor difference to use bearings instead of bushes which nevertheless cost something to use, there is nothing to make the Exage a worthwhile purchase. Better get the Olivio and have the bushes replaced before they wear their seating.

I suspect the same is true of the Penn Surfblaster and Surfmaster. Maybe I'm wrong but if Penn can't confirm it, I guess the default answer is as stated.

I passed your question to the Europe team, once they respond I will post back to this thread.

tony

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynnzer View Post

Lynnzer,

I'm fairly certain that the Surfblaster and the Surfmaster are entirely different products, but the Surfblaster and the Affinity are nearly identical.  When I inquired about the differences, in the hopes that the Affinity might use better gears, the answer was no, those parts are constructed the same (white metal / zinc alloy).  Perhaps the older Surfmaster might be of stronger construction, I can't comment there.

In regard to your question about right or wrong in choosing the Surfblaster 7000, it sounds like you've already answered that question.  The reel, I'm told, is meant for fish, carp mainly, up to 6-8 lbs.  If you're getting into large rays with any regularity, then IMO, that reel wouldn't suffice at all.

Directly from our PENN Europe team:

"What has been improved dramatically on the Surfblaster is the castability and the line lay. The reel is supplied with a shallow braid spool, so you don´t need to put lots of backing on the reel, and with a deep mono spool. We also improved the drag settings as well and are using a quick drag system on the SB."

If you have any other questions feel free to contact PENN UK directly.

http://www.penn-fishing.co.uk/

tony