Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SMC22

GAMAKATSU SC15

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

This year after losing a few good fish to bent hooks I made the switch from Mustad to Gamakatsu. I have been very pleased with the strength of the hooks. I have noticed some have started to rust, though not dramatically. I think it may have been the SC15, but I am not sure. Has anyone had similar experiences?? What are your favorite Gami/ rustproof hooks for clousers, sandeel, deceiver patterns???

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Oh, Mustad's Signature hooks are a lot better than the older fly hooks, and still cheaper than Japanese hooks. I have no objection to using a stone to touch up a hook point.

They all need fresh water if they're not SS.

There's another advantage ... you have to tie a pattern regularly, and fish and observe your fly, to get it down right. Might as well do it with a cheaper hook that's still Good Enough and then some. If the learning curve is well behind you for a particular pattern, then there's no reason not to go for a pricier one.

I find that Gamakatsu and most non stainless hooks will rust if not washed. Also do not put them in slit foam after you use them because they will rust very quick and will mees up the slit foam unless you wash them and dry them. Rusty hooks dont bother me because I can just tie new ones. A fly is not ment to last forever. With that said I still tie on the Signature series and 34007 & 34011 also. I wish the SC17 Tarpon hook came in a size #2 and 4/0.

I love the SC15 and use them exclusively for bait fish patterns because of their shape they "keel" very well. Only downside to the SC15 is that they can only accommodate a few sharpening before the point section gets too short for my liking.

Herb

I find that Gamakatsu and most non stainless hooks will rust if not washed. Also do not put them in slit foam after you use them because they will rust very quick and will mees up the slit foam unless you wash them and dry them. Rusty hooks dont bother me because I can just tie new ones. A fly is not ment to last forever. With that said I still tie on the Signature series and 34007 & 34011 also. I wish the SC17 Tarpon hook came in a size #2 and 4/0.

Hey Brad,

I too was looking for a SC17 in a smaller size.

What I found was the Gami # 18410 live bait hook, in # 1 and the 18409 in # 2.

If you recall, I was at the Marlboro show and spent a little time shooting the *%#! while you tied up the baitfish pattern I believe you need these for.

The gape is not quite as large, but they fit the bill otherwise.

Let me know if these work out.

Thanks again for the tutorial, T

Below is the SC17 in a 1/0, then the 18410 and 18409450

:D

Sorry, didn't mean to Hyjack.

Made the switch to SC15 a few years ago and haven't looked back, super sticky right out the package and the shape of the bend helps to reduce the occasional fouling.

flatwings on SC15's :D

Thanks for the info. The other hook that I like us the Glow Bug Hook but it only goes up to a #2.

I used the Glow Bug Hook C14S to tie up my Gartside Soft Hackle Streamers last winter and gave them a try on stripers and false albacore last season. I was very happy with the results and the hooks did not budge one bit after pulling 7 albies out of a rip using 20lb. tippet. The one thing that stood out was that the small short shanked hook got under the skin in the fishes mouth and I dropped less fish. They do need to be rinsed in fresh water although this years Cabelas is selling them as a "new item" saltwater hook.

I guess stripers must be a lot tougher than Tarpon and Snook. I've never had a problem with Mustad 3407's other than they are harder to set than

some of the Gamacatfish and other hooks. I used Mustad 10839BLN size 3/0 for Tarpon flies last year with a great hooked to landed ratio and fish to 140#

or so.

I spend a lot of time sharpening 3407's in Tarpon flies but I can't get them as sharp as some of the chemically sharpened hooks. I've used 3407's for lots of years

and would rather see my money going to Norway than to China.

I've never had a problem with Mustad 3407's.

I've folded 34007's, 3407's. 34011's and C70SD's on just about every species that swims in my area. To me they are completely worthless, and you'll never see one anywhere near my bench. And by the way, owners and gami's are made in Japan, while your mustads have been manufactured in Wuxi China for the past few years.

Here's an older pic I managed to dig up of a couple #4 C70SD's that folded on the strip strike. They called it a bad batch, but it's what I've come to expect from mustad.

[img=

Here's a couple pics of a pair of #4 C68SZ signature tarpon hooks that snapped in the jaws of my vise (during a class, not the best way to make a good impression on 25-30 impressionable tyers).

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd203/kneedeep74/IMG_09961.jpg]