Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
loligo

Who will be attending the upcoming gamefish hearing?

Rate this topic

92 posts in this topic

im not really up on my fisheries politics so maybe you can answer this question for me. why is this the job of the legislature? what is the reason that this isn't a decision by the MFC and the DMF? i mean, isn't that what they do? make regulations for the fisheries? or is it one of those ways to circumvent the normal way of doing business to get your agenda passed...

Excellent question Brad.

I think it is very telling of the desperation of SF, that they keep seeking legislators out who are further and further from the coast, seeing as no one near the coast really wants to suffer the same fate as Matt Patrick did when he foolishly carried their greedy little torch.

Yes Brad, this is SF's way of getting around the typical way of deciding fisheries policy here in Ma., they have to go this way though, because they know they don't have a chance in heck of getting this the normal way. I have been told, that the resources folks are tired of them and I have the feeling they are in for a chilly reception at the statehouse.

I will be attending. I have something to say that is going to surprise and anger some of my fellow fishermen.....I'll probably have to run away after I say it....;)

Excellent question Brad.

I think it is very telling of the desperation of SF, that they keep seeking legislators out who are further and further from the coast, seeing as no one near the coast really wants to suffer the same fate as Matt Patrick did when he foolishly carried their greedy little torch.

Yes Brad, this is SF's way of getting around the typical way of deciding fisheries policy here in Ma., they have to go this way though, because they know they don't have a chance in heck of getting this the normal way. I have been told, that the resources folks are tired of them and I have the feeling they are in for a chilly reception at the statehouse.

I will be attending. I have something to say that is going to surprise and anger some of my fellow fishermen.....I'll probably have to run away after I say it....;)

you...say something...controversial....nahhhh :D

Bill H.260

An Act relative to the conservation of Atlantic striped bass.

By Mr. Thomas M. Stanley of Waltham, petition (accompanied by bill, House, No. 00260) of Thomas M. Stanley that the advisory commission of the Division of Marine Fisheries adopt rules and regulations relative to the taking or possession of wild striped bass by recreational angling . Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture.

Sponsors:

Thomas M. Stanley

Status: Referred to Joint Committee on Environment, Natural Resources and Agriculture

Hearing Scheduled for 2/28/2012 at 11:00 AM in B-1 external website

Current Bill Text

Bill History

Miscellaneous

Download PDF

View & Print Full Page

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:

SECTION 1. Section 110A of chapter 130 of the General Laws, as appearing in the 2006 Official Edition, is herby amended by striking the section in its entirety and inserting in place thereof the following sentences:- (a) Commercial harvesting and sale of wild striped bass shall be prohibited in the commonwealth.

The director, with the approval of the marine fisheries advisory commission, shall adopt rules and

regulations relative to the taking or possession of wild striped bass by recreational angling,

provided that in no instance shall any rule or regulation authorize the taking or possession of

striped bass which are less than 20 inches in length or greater than 26 inches total length but less

than 40 inches total length. It is unlawful to take or possess striped bass unless the fish are whole

with head on and are between 20 and 26 inches total length or 40 inches and greater total length. (b) It is unlawful to take or possess more than one (1) striped bass each day. © All aquaculture raised striped bass for sale in the commonwealth shall bear the tag of the grower

or distributor of the fish. (d) Whoever violates any rules or regulations made pursuant to this section shall be punished by a

fine of not less than two hundred dollars for each fish taken or possessed for the first violation,

five hundred dollars for each fish taken or possessed for the second violation and for each

subsequent violation shall be fined one thousand dollars for each fish taken or possessed or

imprisoned not more than sixty days or both. No part of any fine imposed for the taking or

possession of any striped bass in violation of any such regulation shall be remitted. (e) SECTION 2. The striped bass quota for commercial fishing provided to the Commonwealth of Massachusetts by the Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission shall not be added to recreational fishing quotas. Said quota shall be set aside for conservation and the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries shall use his best efforts in working with the Commission to see that the amount of this quota is not given to other states but remains the property of the Commonwealth to be used for conservation of striped bass.

Said quota shall be set aside for conservation and the Director of the Division of Marine Fisheries shall use his best efforts in working with the Commission to see that the amount of this quota is not given to other states but remains the property of the Commonwealth to be used for conservation of striped bass.

Which in turn means by default, ALLOCATED TO THE RECREATIONAL FISH KILLERS!:mad:

again. anyone in favor of this action. please tell me why they can't go through the regular process of passing fisheries regulations? why must they use the legislative process? if they don't get it passed, will they then go to the courts to mandate action??? when will it end?

It never stops because the sporty has all the funds so they can keep coming back year after year.......they figure if they keep pushin' and pushin' they will get what they want. They just try to wear people out.........these are the same tactics used by groups like EARTH FIRST, PETA, USHS,etc,etc

Excellent question Brad.

OH-OH.....I can hear the rabble gathering up the torches and pitchforks...........

again. anyone in favor of this action. please tell me why they can't go through the regular process of passing fisheries regulations? why must they use the legislative process? if they don't get it passed, will they then go to the courts to mandate action??? when will it end?

I think that this is the way it works in a constitutional republic. I've seen the commercial fishery groups do this many times when they are not happy with regulations passed by NEMFC, ASMFC, or the state. When a department does not do what you think is right the normal process is to bring ot to the elected officials through the legislative process to resolve.

Why do they work with politicians from districts away from the coast. I would guess because they want to get away from politicians who are under the thumb of the commercial fishery groups.

Loligo tell us what u have in ur agenda. Im not good with surprises ;). I cannot make it to the meeting but would like to know whats going down.

Her's what I sent to Russel Cleary (Ma commercial Anglers) this AM:

I will be attending the hearing at the state house. I will be speaking on behalf of the Cape and Island Inshore Fishermen's Association against these bill which are intended to end commercial striped bass fishing, however, I wil also be asking the legislature to consider addressing the issue that the majority of the commercial bass fishermen are not actually commercial fishermen, but people with full-time jobs, who are able to fish only because the director of the DMF refuses to limit entry to this fishery for fear of all the negativity it will incur. I am also going to urge the legislature to consider the fact that these part timers are able to avoid paying sales taxes and excise taxes, thus depriving the state of a considerable amount of revenue. I will make the statement that this fishery, while well manged on paper, is the poster child for the abuse of a public resource, by non-dependent fishermen who are largely supplementing a very expensive hobby, towhit I will offer Director Diodati's own statement saying so much to the Marine Fisheries Commission, which I have audio of, in my possession.

The Massachusetts commercial bass fishery is a terrible fraud perpetrated and perpetuated by a group of wanna-be fishermen who have zero dependence on it, except a sense of entitlement to get out on the water every summer and play commercial fishermen for a few short weeks, in what has become a boy's club. The moment this fishery had a quota, the state should have limited entry to it and as a result of not doing so, we now find ourselves being assailed annually by an elitist group, whose intentions toward the fishery are no better than the part time fishermen they intend to replace.

It is our intention, to convince the legislature that this fishery needs redress of it's management policy on eligibility to participate, on the basis that it is in the best interest of the fish, and the fishermen who actually depend on the fishery, and also of the commonwealth's non-fishing citizenry who are at a loss from the tax exempt status the non-dependent participants presently enjoy.

Most sincerely,

John Rice

John Rice - Director - ><> CIIFA <><