Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Clumsy

Shimano Baitrunner 12000 D

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I just got one brand new in box - heavy and beautiful. Is there somebody who knows this reel. I was surprised it has a relatively low capacity #20 265yds.

Propulsion line management system - what is that?

What is it good for = designed for off shore and what rod to match with. (What fish to target)

As you can see I do not know this reel and probably do not have a use for it either. It goes retail $270 I think.

Thank you for the response.

Miro

I think that line count must be mono. I got two of those for slinging bait and spooled them with 50lb braid and I'm pretty sure I got much more than that. However, even if that's all the mono you can get I think you're still fine. Even if you cast 100 yards, you still have 165 on the spool. Unless you had a very large fish in a tough current, I would think you could lame and beach it.

Haven't fished it much. Did a couple trips on the Hudson river and they performed perfectly. I'm happy with them. I initially purchased a smaller model, but swaped them out for the biggest. I have big hands, and like the feel of the big reel and cranking handle. Line retrieve per crank is higher too. I think it's a good choice.

Santa gave me one of these. I'm going to spool it up with 30# fireline. I assume I'm going to get all 300 yards on there. I'll let you know as I may spool it up tonight...

Thank you for your response guys . I have not been on line for some time , so I will be slow ....=learning again the way to create posts ...specifically pics. Will do it this weekend.

Miro

Here's a quick pic of mine up on my ceiling roof rack. 50lb suffix braid. In the pic on the rod right at the top of the spool you can also see "The Cannon" thing I like to use when throwning bait.

MAxKAt, thank you for posting the pics of the Shimano. I am sorry being late , but I have to re-learn the picture posting. I see that you like them. I do not think I will be using it . It seems to be too heavy. In surf I use Penn9500 and it is a tractor = strong, no maintenance and fast retriever. For distance I have Daiwa Emblem 5500. So, convince me this Shimano is better and to keep it.

Thanks Miro

Santa gave me one of these. I'm going to spool it up with 30# fireline. I assume I'm going to get all 300 yards on there. I'll let you know as I may spool it up tonight...

Did you spool it up? I am curious as to how much it held.

Here's a quick pic of mine up on my ceiling roof rack. 50lb suffix braid. In the pic on the rod right at the top of the spool you can also see "The Cannon" thing I like to use when throwning bait.

I have heard the Cannon's work pretty well. I am thinking of taping one on my bait rod as well.

I have not... Dicks hasn't received the 300 yard spools yet. My friend works there so I was waiting for his call... I may just order a few spools from TDirect as the Spring season is upon us already...

So 300 yds with a few yards of mono backing and it's full? Do you use a shock leader?

Nope i dont bother with mono backing, takes up too much space. For the leader I just tie a 2 foot mono leader at the end after it comes through the eyes. I use the reel mostly for surfcasting so casting with shock leader wouldnt really work.

Well as promised I spooled them both with 30# fireline... Neither held the full 300 yards... the 6500B held a little more than the 12000D. If I had to guess I'd say 280-290 on the 6500B and 260-270 on the 12000D. This is no backing, just a turn and a half of electric tape...

Now some of you may get more line on with better tension or maybe you'll just overfill but this is about as comfy as I am with filling them...

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/3229437/width/600/height/450]

I use mine beach fishing on an 11.6 premier with red 65# power pro - fall & spring set up - handles everything

My 4 season setup? 8k Thunnus with 50# braid on a 10ft premier - my fav combo until I get my curado crankin on my tidemaster