Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Steve in Mass

It's a Sunny, Cool Superbowl Friday.......

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

It's about 30 here this AM, going to about 40. Sun and seasonable temperatures for the weekend, warming to a bit above normal and continued sunny thru the week, with STILL no snow in sight....:th::)

So, whatchya making?

Tonight is Chinese take-out.

For the weekend, yesterday I bought a city ham for $0.99/lb (butt half), so most likely that will be for tomorrow, and I think I'm gonna give salt potatoes a go to go with it.

Not sure what I am doing for game day yet (besides nachos after dinner)....gotta talk to the boss, as other than football party type food, not much is on sale this week. Maybe I will make lasagna.

For myself on Monday, I have a couple of stuffed cabbage left in the freezer, so will heat up those.

Rest of the week, will do something with leftover ham (even if it is just ham and swiss sandwiches with soup) for one night. Another night thinking either meatloaf or Sloppy Joe's. The third night, I don't know yet, but am contemplating making fish and chips, Brit style.

What are YOU making, and what is gonna give you Giants fans indigestion when they lose and you are crying in your beer? ;)

On the road to camp tonight, so not much. It will just be my youngest with me this weekend, so we will make pizzas tomorrow night.

Sunday will be wings in the fryer and more pizza probably along with some oddball beers.

Go Pats.

Making a corned beef tomorrow. For Sunday I'm getting outside my comfort zone as I've been asked to bring dessert for a Superbowl party. I've got a ton of lemons left over from making limoncello so I'm using those. Probably try a Key Lemon style pie. Or a lemon mousse.

Put three corned venison hams in the freezer last night. They've been brining for a couple of weeks. I'll pull them out, cook them to make a bunch of grilled reubens at the end of the month for "wood cutting weekend" at the cabin.

The superbowl feed is still up in the air.

Generally these affairs have a theme (it's been a while since we in DC have had to worry about such things :( )

When the Redskins play the eagles, we eat some kind of buzzard. Cowboys... we cook beef BBQ (could eat a horse, or s***). Dolphins, some kind of fish.

Don't really have a dog in this fight.

If I were a Giants fan (maybe just for this occasion) stuffed clams might be fun.

For the Pat's fans...maybe dogs and pizza (that's easy) and baked stuffed apples for a victory dessert.

lots of left overs/pre-cooked meats to reheat in the fridge.

going to do my first brisket on the WSM to bring to a friends on Sunday.

I'm making a lasagna from scratch for the Superbowl. I'm a little nervous because I've never done it before. I've heard people say you need to boil the noodles and some say you don't if they are fresh. if i don't boil the noodles, and leave the sauce a little runnier, can i make it the day before or should i do it day of?

I'm also gonna make some of that amazing no-knead bread. people think I'm an artisan baker little do they know that it is super easy and takes hardly any time!

If it's dry noodles, cook for 6 minutes. If fresh noodles, put them in boiling water for 2 minutes. Either way, take them out and put them on a oiled sheet tray. Oil them up so they don't stick.

Seared salmon sashimi with brown rice and seaweed salad tonight. Looking forward to that mmmm. Rest of the weekend is up in the air. Would like to do a grill pan sardines tomorrow if the fish guy still has some. Maybe I'll do a fried thai snapper at some point. Other then that I could use a steak.....

See some cheap shoulder, picnic end, so maybe smoke one or roast one up as pernil. Have to make some wings Sunday, otherwise not a clue.

Wednesday pan seared a big slab of salmon. Crisped the skin in duck fat flipped and in the oven for a couple minutes.

Last night was a bunch of strip steaks on the kettle. These were great and even though I've dumped the ash a couple times since I used any mesquite

it's quite persistent and these steaks still got a hint of it. Maybe have to get another kettle to segregate things so I don't get mesquite in everything I cook forever.

I'm making a lasagna from scratch for the Superbowl. I'm a little nervous because I've never done it before. I've heard people say you need to boil the noodles and some say you don't if they are fresh. if i don't boil the noodles, and leave the sauce a little runnier, can i make it the day before or should i do it day of?

I'm also gonna make some of that amazing no-knead bread. people think I'm an artisan baker little do they know that it is super easy and takes hardly any time!

I make it with fresh, homemade pasta sheets when time permits, but I gotta say I have had really good results with the Barilla no cook lasagna sheets. Just be sure your sauce is wet and add a little water to your cheese since the pasta sucks up a lotta water. :th: .

Alan

Made chili yesterday. Was supposed to go to a friends house and was going to bring that. But my little guy has a cold and a ear infection so looks like we are staying home. So thinking nachos with chili and mixed cheeses(cheddar, manchago, and asiago). And thinking wings, not sure if I'll fry or grill. Kids like when I grill the wings with lemon pepper, season salt, adobe. I add cayanne for my wings. So the kids and wife don't steal my wings :). Kids really love blue cheese with carrots and celery. Maybe do some poppers?

Tonight we're going to finish off some leftovers, as I made a bunch of grilled porkchops last night. I picked up some of the best looking baby bok choy at the Asian market yesterday. Sauteed them with garlic, oyster sauce, and spicy soy sauce. They were awesome, and I still have some fresh ones to whip up another batch tonight.

I marinated some steak tips for tomorrow night, and might do some baked potatoes with the tips.

For Sunday's game, the wifey and I decided on doing an assortment of apps. So far, we have cheeseburger eggrolls, buffalo wings (fried), 7-layer dip, and the small pork dumplings (from the Asian market). Fresh margaritas (fresh-squeezed lime juice, oj, frozen lime juice, strawberries) and beer will also be on the menu. Haven't decided if I'll get some quality craft beers, or just tear through a case of corona. Probably a little of both.