Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Little

Happy Birthday Ayn Rand. 107 years young

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

Quote:

"Let me give you a tip on a clue to men's characters: the man who damns money has obtained it dishonorably; the man who respects it has earned it.

"Run for your life from any man who tells you that money is evil. That sentence is the leper's bell of an approaching looter. So long as men live together on earth and need means to deal with one another--their only substitute, if they abandon money, is the muzzle of a gun.

Fransisco-Atlas Shrugged

Quote:

I know what happiness is possible to me on earth. And my happiness needs no higher aim to vindicate it. My happiness is not the means to any end. It is the end. It is its own goal. It is its own purpose.

“Neither am I the means to any end others may wish to accomplish. I am not a tool for their use. I am not a servant of their needs. I am not a bandage for their wounds. I am not a sacrifice on their altars.”

Anthem.

Share your favorite Rand thought with the class.  Today we celebrate that just being is all it is.

She was a great political philosopher but a terrible human being. What is scary is that what she wrote about is becoming more true every day. The objectivist philosophy is IMO, the correct way to go.

Sadly, we have not yet developed our own John Galt.

a couple good ones

"Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. "

I dont think our lefty friends would agree to that one, since they base thier whole system on duress.

"Evil requires the sanction of the victim. "

kinda funny how those of us who dont sanction being a victim are so savagelty attacked by those who are contented being victims.

"I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine"

ill end for now with a quote that perfectly sums up the left. ask ole joe said.......get some skin the game.

"It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master. "

Quote:

Originally Posted by John M View Post

a couple good ones

"Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. "

I dont think our lefty friends would agree to that one, since they base thier whole system on duress.

"

the failing of the right is that when they read a quote like that,

they choose ONLY to see how it appies to "the other guy" and resist seeing how it reflects upon their own actions and policy.

Don't Republicans desire the Strongest Military in the World, so that we can "Do Good" with it around the globe?

Don't Republicans seek to legislate their own Religious Code?

But keep on with the Partisan thinking John,

keep ignoring the failings of your own party while hammering away at the left.

the failing of the right is that when they read a quote like that,

they choose ONLY to see how it appies to "the other guy" and resist seeing how it reflects upon their own actions and policy.

Don't Republicans desire the Strongest Military in the World, so that we can "Do Good" with it around the globe?

Don't Republicans seek to legislate their own Religious Code?

But keep on with the Partisan thinking John,

keep ignoring the failings of your own party while hammering away at the left.

I think a strong military is good for our defense, not to necessarily get involved around the world. Those that want to mess around the globe are a small faction of the party.

The same with the religious zealots, a vocal minority.

Quote:

lol hooked.gif

ayn Rand wasnt a rep (and neither am I)......she didnt write this stuff to supoprt them. nice trythough.

John,

let my words sink in,

you read that quote and ONLY saw it as an attack on the left,

try to see how it impacts the right as well.

I don't care why Rand wrote the words,

I was addressing how a Partisan reacts to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dena View Post

I think a strong military is good for our defense,

Our Military is of the size and scope required for an Empire and to police the world,

we can do with much smaller for defensive purposes.

John,

let my words sink in,

you read that quote and ONLY saw it as an attack on the left,

try to see how it impacts the right as well.

I don't care why Rand wrote the words,

I was addressing how a Partisan reacts to them.

they were written by a partisan duh.........or didnt you know that? try reading her books. You might learn something.

of course now seeing yuo admit you dont care (intent) why she wrote the wrods it explains your disdain for our consitution.

but if you want to deabte this start your won thread and lets not derail this happy bithday thread. :)

Quote:

they were written by a partisan duh.........or didnt you know that? try reading her books. You might learn something.

So these quotes were written as a means of attacking the left but cast a blind eye to the very same abuses on the right?

most philosophers aren't so "willfully ignorant".

but Partisan hacks are.

so which is she again?

Quote:

lol hooked.gif

ayn Rand wasnt a rep (and neither am I)......she didnt write this stuff to supoprt them. nice trythough.

Quote:

they were written by a partisan duh.........or didnt you know that?

"Hi my name is JohnM and I frequently contradict myself in order to disagree with fnm".

not sure how thats a contridiction.......she wasnt a rep, she dindt write to support them.....so do tell your leap of logic to this contierction you see.

but hey if ya wanan attack me go ahead. enjoy.