Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jason B

My First Penn

6 posts in this topic

I have posted this before, but,,,,

I can still remember my first Penn. Sure i have forgoten the name of my first girl or even any of the important details of that first encounter, but I can tell almost every detail of when my Dad bought me my first Penn. I bought it in Brunswick Hardware in Trenton when I was seven years old. It was a beautiful, shiny 716Z. I remember holding it and having that new sneaker feeling when you were a kid, when you swore that they would make you run faster. Holding that reel made me feel that every fish was hiding in fear. I still have the reel today. It still spins like butter and I have caught and still catch countless fish on that thing. I will use to throw shad darts this spring, skimming jigs off the bottom to fluke this summer and chucking tiny top waters to schoolies this Fall. I even let my girls use it to catch sunnies with peices of bread. That reel is a flawless tank. Over the years i have added countless Penns to my collection, too many to name. Most recently my 146 has made a valiant resurgance for my new addiction of blackfishing, with my 100 as its trusty back-up ( although that Fathom has me salivating). In a few weeks my 501's will be making the rounds for the upcoming cod season if this weather ever figures its self out. I could continue on where my 975 will be doing this, my Slammer will be doing that, and my Battle will be doing the other thing, but that is how the story goes. I, like many, am a Penn Man.

Thank you for all the great products and welcome to the board, but really, you have always been here.

So what was your first Penn?

My first Penn.

I bought my penn 712z at kmart. Tank is an understatement! it always turned heads on the party boat with the click click click reeling sound and people would say, "that's a beast reel!"

I was new to surf fishing.  I made the trip to Montauk (as I do every year).  I had decided to bring a fly rod with me (I am an advid fresh water fly rod man). New to salt, I though "how hard can it be?". Well after a second day of wind, I took my newly purchased fly rod and reel to

a local shop. The owner traded me straight up for a NIB 704z and an Ugly Stick. 

I have upgraded the rod, but fished that reel up and down the east coast. I had a bail less kit put on it and love it. I have since bought a bunch of Penns and I am ffinally retiring my

704z with a new Torque 7 bail less I bought yesterday. I am a Penn fan. 

My first was a 970 Mag Power conventional I bought back in 'Frisco over 25 years ago, just ought of college; amazingly enough, it's still in like new condition. It was my undoing ... Everyone who tried it back then confirmed for me that it was one of the best of the best in the surf. From what many have told me, in some circles, it still is. With mojo like that, there was no looking back!

A few years later came the 525 Mag followed by more recently the Conquer 5000, which I bought for a trip to Vero Beach in '010; another phenomenal reel too.

I bought a Battle in a 2000 size a couple weeks ago when they went on sale. Wow, what a sweetie it is also! Has the same kind of cajones as the others, just a tad smaller I guess, lol.

Nice to know you can still count on American built quality, and it just doesn't get much better than a Penn.

What are you waiting for?

Tim

My first Penn was the simple but functional No. 77 Sea Hawk. Got it in probably 1964 or 1965 as part of a combo with an H-I Ike Walton rod - $5 for the combo! It was hanging in the window of Pop Klee's tackle shop and billiard hall in Brooklyn. I was very proud of that little buggah. I gave the rod and reel away to a kid many years ago, but I have since collected a few of them.