Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
albacized

When the fish you're fighting gets 'seal(ed)', 'dolphin(ed)' or 'sea lion(ed)'...

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

...Do you pinch down or let it run? I had always pinched down and broke it off. However, last time I was down fishing off a pier in Naples(FL), the locals showed me a trick when a (in this case) dolphin hits your fish (mostly spanish macks, although one got a pompano on me) which will allow you to save your lure...you let the dolphin run with the fish and eventually, the dolphin will bite the fish off at the head and you can simply reel that in, with the lure being spared

I'm a west coaster, from Washington State and sea lions are a big fish stealing problem up here.  Especially for the spring chinook which are prime and go for 20 bucks a pound in the stores.  We have two methods of dealing with them from a boat.  #1 everyone reels up and you try to run the sea lion over.  They always duck and take the fish back under.  Eventually they get tired and since you are trying to run them over never get enough air and often just let go.  Your fish has a nasty bite mark, but still plenty to salvage.  #2 we bring along my son's paintball gun and spray them when they get close to the boat.  They usually stay away from our boat after that.

That is the worst thing I've read here. Running it over or shooting it with a paint ball gun !??! Are you kidding ? I could only pray a conservation officer sees you doing that.

Agreed!

I'm a west coaster, from Washington State and sea lions are a big fish stealing problem up here.  Especially for the spring chinook which are prime and go for 20 bucks a pound in the stores.  We have two methods of dealing with them from a boat.  #1 everyone reels up and you try to run the sea lion over.  They always duck and take the fish back under.  Eventually they get tired and since you are trying to run them over never get enough air and often just let go.  Your fish has a nasty bite mark, but still plenty to salvage.  #2 we bring along my son's paintball gun and spray them when they get close to the boat.  They usually stay away from our boat after that.

Fairly certain that qualifies as harassing a marine mammal, which is good enough to get you a $10k fine. Nice job there! I can only hope that you get caught and and have to sell you boat to pay the fine.

I had a seal grab a bass this year right along the beach. I had a hit, felt the fish, set the hook, fish started to pull, not real big...I started to reel the fish in and had a big rip on the line....fish gone. I reeled in the lure took a look and nothing on it. I then saw the seal sitting just outside the bar. I stopped fishing and watched it swim south.

Pretty tough how you deal with the sea lions. How do you treat some one that mugs you?

I thought I'd give you something interesting to read. Although I bet some of you have never seen what I'm talking about. I've seen one sea lion take 12 salmon in a row from sport fisherman.  We live in a region where it is legal to toss "seal bombs" big M80's at the sea lions. The feds have also been legally euthanizing some near the dams.  We never touch them with the boat and the paint balls rarely reach them.  I think it is less harmful than tossing seal bombs. It's something you'll need to experience.  

I thought I'd give you something interesting to read. Although I bet some of you have never seen what I'm talking about. I've seen one sea lion take 12 salmon in a row from sport fisherman.  We live in a region where it is legal to toss "seal bombs" big M80's at the sea lions. The feds have also been legally euthanizing some near the dams.  We never touch them with the boat and the paint balls rarely reach them.  I think it is less harmful than tossing seal bombs. It's something you'll need to experience.  

So because some people throw "seal bombs" and the feds are doing what they do, you think it makes it OK to do what you do? Really?

i appreciated your post, as i found it entertaining to read, but i must condone this behavior. you should really ditch the paint gun and bring out a .... uhhhp, theres my boss.. gootta go

I'm actually fine with what your doing.No need to have to explain yourself or the situation. Those slobs like seals will wipe out entire schools of fish.Sad to see fisherman supporting seals and sea lions.Nuisance invasive animals in my opinion.

I probably should have been more careful with my explanation before I pushed the submit button. I didn't want to offend anyone and I don't condone hurting the sea lions.  The chasing around actually works about 25% of the time. Basicly it scares them into giving it up.  We never hit the sea lion with the boat.  From the distance we use the paintball gun it wouldn't even put a welt on a human let alone a sea mammal covered with 3 inches of blubber. Just a scare tactic that works about 50% of the time. These big bubbas will actually follow your boat all day and eat every fish you catch unless you leave or try to scare them off.