Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jcrane

Blank for Plugging 1-1.5oz

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

I am thinking of adding yet another necessary/unncessary weapon to the arsenal...

I am looking for a blank, preferably 11ft, which has a sweet spot in the 1-1.5 oz range...

I currently use a GSB 1321M and LOVE it... However, even though its range is indeed impressive, I find when I get down to smaller bucktails or even a 5" redfin, a lighter rod may be more ideal...

I saw the thread and have been looking at the GSB 1321L.

Possibly the XRA 132 2 (though according to the Lami site, the rod is almost 3oz heavier than the 1321L??)

I want to check CTS as well..

Any recommendations/suggestions?

The Arra 1322's sweet spot is about 3 ounces. Even as a spinning rod I can't imagine it adapting well to 1-1.5 oz. payloads. There are lots of better blanks than that.

The Arra intended as a Rebel/Redfin/Bomber rod is the 1083, but that one had a reputation for tip fragility. I don't know whether that is still true of the current production; the gurus in Rod Building Forum would know.

11' seems awful big for that kind of payload. Even for a 1 or 1.5 oz. leadhead you wouldn't gain much distance, if any. You sure you need 11'?

Does it matter if its one or two-piece??

I know the 1 vs 2 piece debate is a good one, and that 2 pieces have really come into their own. I am not tied to a 1 piece, but have no storage/transport issues, so figure 1 piece would always be the more preferable...

Totally open to suggestions though...

The Arra 1322's sweet spot is about 3 ounces. Even as a spinning rod I can't imagine it adapting well to 1-1.5 oz. payloads. There are lots of better blanks than that.

The Arra intended as a Rebel/Redfin/Bomber rod is the 1083, but that one had a reputation for tip fragility. I don't know whether that is still true of the current production; the gurus in Rod Building Forum would know.

11' seems awful big for that kind of payload. Even for a 1 or 1.5 oz. leadhead you wouldn't gain much distance, if any. You sure you need 11'?

Nope, not tied to anything and abosulely not sure of what I need (Let's also define need!!! I don't need another rod, for ANY reason whatsoever)

Again, my thought was the extra foot or 2, if you get the right stick, will help with the distance. I could be way off base on my hopes that there is an 11 that would serve that purpose. I have a 9ft Lami (factory) and while again a very nice rod, I just don't get the same distance casting the same 5in redfin that I do with my GSB1321M...

Maybe its a 10ft?

lami's published blank weights are wrong, fwiw

1201L will throw that weight well, but still have enough room on the upper end to not make it a 1 trick pony - as in, you can actually fish other stuff too. I don't know about you, but for me a redfin bite can turn into a big needle bite in a hurry.

lami's published blank weights are wrong, fwiw

1201L will throw that weight well, but still have enough room on the upper end to not make it a 1 trick pony - as in, you can actually fish other stuff too. I don't know about you, but for me a redfin bite can turn into a big needle bite in a hurry.

That's the 10ft, Super Surf, correct? I like the option of being able to do other things (similar to the 1321M), so that may work out. Thanks for the heads up. I will check that as well

Check out the Century Slingshot 10'6".  I'd put it's sweet spot right in the 1.5 - 2.5 oz range.  I've throw down to 3/4 oz and as much as 3.5 oz...It's performed great through this whole range.  It's rated 1-3 oz, but will throw more and less.

You may want to look at the AFAW Estuary ... have thrown 1 1/4 oz a country mile & it is 11 ft.

I use that rod conventional. Love it for throwing 1-2 oz plugs. A little light for heavy current like the Canal, but off the beach, my favorite rod.

Jigman