Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shoal searcher

newbie but oldie I've hit my wall

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Hi I live on the outter banks nc and I have hit my wall with all my old heavers and squiders etc.. I just bought a 525 and I have tryed it on all my old rods and have maxed out around 500' with a 6 oz. sinker wich is an improvement but I need another 100' if possible. I say i've hit my wall because I could get a new rod that just might do me right, now the longest I have is 12.5' and fiberglass composite/ graphite and with that i've got my best casts.I normally cast 4,5,6, w/bait,and I need to get out there beyond the bar 200 yards. Any suggestions, i'm not rich, I can build if I have to.

Don't know how you secure your bait to the hook much less how big the section of bait is but I've heard of people squeezing much needed distance out of their rig by pre-attaching their hook with leader to a small section of bait, inserting it into a small Dixie cup (a small section of capped PVC works also if a smaller "bait-cube" is desired), adding only enough water to cover and then freezing it.

The day they want to fish, remove the cup(s) with the "bait-cube" in it to a cooler filled with ice. When they get to their fishing area with the cooler, pop the bait from the cup after securing the leader to your main and weight, then, before the bait melts, cast away. The idea being the uniformity of the frozen bait reduces drag when casted adding needed distance to the cast. The frozen bait quickly melts in the water as it sinks with their lead weight.

This method is probably more commonly used by those who use a "cannon" to get their bait and weight a good distance off the shore, but there's no reason it can't be used here as well. It sure is worth a shot ...

14 years or so ago I was on a mission to throw a hatteras cast as far as possible. With the limited info that was available then combined with my hard head I topped out at about 550' using a 12' heaver and a 6500 abu. To see improvement past that point I had to open my eyes and realize the limitations of the HC. It utilizes very little rotation and it happens very quickly making it hard to get your arms in the right position for strong finish.

I would suggest learning the groundcast. It is a great powercast that allows you to concentrate on fundamentals without the worry of a swinging lead. After getting the groundcast down pat you can use those skills to improve your Hatteras Cast. Proper arm position and a strong punch/pull finish can add 50-75 feet or more.

A modern carbon heaver can help too... :)

Tommy

The problem I have with ground cast is the slope of the beach, and if I get up to where its flat , well Ive backed off 20 or 30 yards, I like the ground cast though and it gives me the most distance, I;ll definitely be at one of your casting seminars soon to learn the pendulum cast, going to be at the ncbba meeting in the spring? Thanks for the input kayaking the baits out is way too much trouble.

I also live near you. 500' is nothing to sneeze at.

In a fishing situation, how one casts is very important. Endangering the others around you will bring out the worst in everyone around.

Dig me up when you can send PM's, I'll help where I can.

Using a streamlined clipped down bait is a big help when trying for distance ;)

:(

I agree; clipdown rigs are easy to make and install You can even purchase them on the market. C2