the old dry suit vs wader discussion

Sorry dead. 2' surf? Water up to his thighs in waders when he is wearing a latex neck and wrists dry top and belt and PFD? You could jump off a diving board into a pool with waders and have no top, no belt, no pfd, with a pair of correctly fitted neoprene waders and never have water up to your thighs.

I was there, and the first to launch. The person in question was somewhat new to the sport and couldn't swim a lick. He was wearing a drytop and regular waders. Not neoprene! Even though he was only 30 feet from shore he lacked the ability to swim. He was attempting to use his paddle to row himself in (not recommended method) He took no less than six waves over the top before he was pulled from the water. Can't say weather he was wearing a belt or not. Fact remains his wader dry top combo became a real issue on a cold November day.

Unfortunately not everybody battens down the hatches on their yak apparel. I've found my dry suit relief zipper wide open several hours after use. Fortunately I didn't find out when I was in the water.

He learned his lesson that day and has since learned to swim and I don't think he's launched from the surf since.

My biggest forum regret to date was posting the story on another web site and giving his name. He's great guy and a real gentlemen that didn't deserve the un wanted spot light. Sorry Bro!

I have been using a 3.2 without a hood or booties. Not adequate for my needs fishing, but that's a lot less than what you are using. I did try it in warmer weather when the water is still cold (May/June) and I sweated my butt off. I guess you can have several wetsuits for different conditions but then you are spending about the cost of a drysuit.

Just to compare, like you I was out on Friday. I had the kayak in Long Island Sound and was in a drysuit. After a few miles I had to stop to remove a couple of layers. I was super warm too, but it's easy to adjust your clothing in a drysuit.

I do realize that if the drysuit is ripped, you are screwed. It definitely could happen. However, I have never seen a ripped suit. Pinholes, yes, but those don't let in much water. Maybe a half-cup in an hour.

^jebus, no shat its not the same gear! similar in the aspect of a top and bottom which leaks, similar to wader, and sealed suit similar to dry suit.:freak:

Well then we disagree. You are comparing splash gear with waders, belt and a latex sealed full dry top. It's not the same thing. Not even close stupid. wow

No comparison. Never was. Riddler your a great Kayak Fisherman don't know why you disagree so much. I see that a lot on your history here. You were never that way on anthoer forum. Guess you want to be different. Its all good. But there is no comparison!!:D

Well then we disagree. You are comparing splash gear with waders, belt and a latex sealed full dry top. It's not the same thing. Not even close stupid. wow

"Stupid"? Really? Yeah, that's mature.

What happened to "When you start doing the personal stuff here, It's not fun anymore." :(

C'mon Riddler. Try taking your own advice.

Ok, I have a hypothesis as Buddy would say

"everyone grab your gear and head for the nearest swimming pool and jump in....well let's wait until warmer weather to do this."

Then we could all see the results, pros and cons. Those proving their hypothesis could video and then post their findings.

Call this the waiter/dry suit show down.

maybe SOL could create a form just for this "chicken or the egg" type of opinion.

(*edited - member formerly known as 'bdisanto')

Not even close stupid. wow

FYI, the guy's user name is "stupidjet" - guess what would be a reasonable short or nick name for someone using the user name "stupidjet"? :idea: Yup...nailed it - "stupid" :wave::)

TimS

Show someone how to catch striped bass and they'll be ready to fish anywhere.
Show someone where to go striped bass fishing and you'll have a desperate report chaser with loose lips.

"Stupid"? Really? Yeah, that's mature.

What happened to "When you start doing the personal stuff here, It's not fun anymore." :(

C'mon Riddler. Try taking your own advice.

For the love of god his name is stupidjet, Kross...lol

No comparison. Never was. Riddler your a great Kayak Fisherman don't know why you disagree so much. I see that a lot on your history here. You were never that way on anthoer forum. Guess you want to be different. Its all good. But there is no comparison!!:D

Dbow, this is not about me. I don't endorse anything, I don't sell anything and I'm not here to cash in or make love with anyone. I'm simply defending my choice in Waders, drytop and belt, that has worked for 1000's of others......It bothers people and it has entertainment value....to be honest with you, seeing everyone do the same thing, wear the same cloths and talk the same way is a turn off to the sport. I don't want nothing to do with that. It wasn't that way in the beginning. I call it "The get along gang" mentality. They don't have individuals. For some reason it's a threat when someone does something different. I'm happy people wear dry suits and wet suits, what ever works man...mention waders and dry top? They tell you what you are doing wrong. I love it. I'm gonna keep doing it.

I have no idea who you are or what forum you are speaking about it. Sounds like your digging, probably where you don't belong or at least doesn't belong on SOL. If it's a personal thing that you have going on with me, I suggest for you to PM me. If it's ******** you are looking for? Leave me out of it. Thanks. :wave:

FYI, the guy's user name is "stupidjet" - guess what would be a reasonable short or nick name for someone using the user name "stupidjet"? :idea: Yup...nailed it - "stupid" :wave::)

TimS

thats pretty pathetic considering you know thats not what he ment, but i wouldnt expect anything else from you as well.