the old dry suit vs wader discussion

I swear I am not trying to muddy those waters again but I'm conflicted. I went out the other day to test out the new kayak. I was wearing neoprene waders with a dry top. I deliberately spilled just before the ramp to check out how dry or wet the system was. I stayed dry so not a problem. The one problem was how constricted I felt. Between the big belly and my barrel chest, with the waders bunching up, the dry top over that and a Pdf over everything, it was uncomfortable to say the least. It wasn't easy to paddle and even tough to breath. I'm considering a whole dry suit but wonder if its overkill. Would a dry bottom combined with dry top work? Would a dry suit be hard to paddle in? Any thoughts that might help me decide are appreciated.

Gad to hear you did not die with waders and dry top. It's contrary to what the Get Along Gang Says will happen. It sounds like you were so snug you didn't even need a belt. :D More importantly, is if you dumped would you be that constricted to perform a self rescue?

Whether it's waders - dry top- belt, whirlpool bibs and dry top, dry suit, or wet suit, it has to fit and be comfortable to be effective. Waders have to fit and allow freedom of movement, no need to be extra tight. It's not one size fit's all either. If you used a full dry top did you trim the neck and wrist latex gaskets? Dry tops should allow freedom of movement.

Below is a fit chart for waders by hodgman. Waders are far from one size fit's all.

Thanks for the quick reply Riddler. You are correct. I did not perish and I stayed dry even without a belt. :) The dry top fit fine, it was more the waders. Also I didn't feel constricted to not do a self rescue. Conditions were calm though so not a good replication of if I was in a hairy situation, but I feel comfortable with that get up if I was. The waders are snug and the neoprene very thick. I bought them a year ago for surf casting, for which they work great. I didn't intend to use them for kayaking but figured they would work great. They will surely make for a long day in the yak though.

I figure a dry suit wont be as bulky and so easier to paddle and just be more comfortable in general but I have no experience with them. I worry about overheating in them too. Especially during those spring days when the water is still cold but the air temps are warm. One thing is for certain though, I wont be out dressed as I was. I'm open to other notions if people have ideas.

I should add that I only felt constricted when I was paddling. In the water I was fine. It didnt look clear in the original post that it was only while paddling.

Riddler knows his stuff. But here I strongly disagree. On another site I dont have 17 posts more like a few thousand. Comes to Bass he would clean my clock!!Nothing is better than a drysuit as far as comfort and safety. I swam Shark River from courts to bridge 3 years ago January to prove this. Had 5MIL facemask and 5Mil gloves also. I was dry and toasty anyone wants to challenge that?? Lets take a swim now a good time of year to prove my point. And yes I wore a vest.

Riddler knows his stuff. But here I strongly disagree. On another site I dont have 17 posts more like a few thousand. Comes to Bass he would clean my clock!!Nothing is better than a drysuit as far as comfort and safety. I swam Shark River from courts to bridge 3 years ago January to prove this. Had 5MIL facemask and 5Mil gloves also. I was dry and toasty anyone wants to challenge that?? Lets take a swim now a good time of year to prove my point. And yes I wore a vest.

First, we have to know, what are we disagreeing about? lol I don't even know. :confused:

How long where you in the January water with a dry suit and what were the water temps?

I can't clean anyone's clock, it's Boston and the North Shore...we have the best bass fishing waters for kayak fishermen on the East Coast. :)

I used a dry top and waders for the first several years of kayak fishing and have no complaints with it at all, I used light weight breathable waders instead of neoprene that might help, and like riddler said fit is important. That being said I have use a drysuit for cold water times the past two years and really like it. I would say the best thing about it is the relief zipper sure makes taking a quick P a lot easier. :)

Bob

I swear I am not trying to muddy those waters again but I'm conflicted. I went out the other day to test out the new kayak. I was wearing neoprene waders with a dry top. I deliberately spilled just before the ramp to check out how dry or wet the system was. I stayed dry so not a problem. The one problem was how constricted I felt. Between the big belly and my barrel chest, with the waders bunching up, the dry top over that and a Pdf over everything, it was uncomfortable to say the least. It wasn't easy to paddle and even tough to breath. I'm considering a whole dry suit but wonder if its overkill. Would a dry bottom combined with dry top work? Would a dry suit be hard to paddle in? Any thoughts that might help me decide are appreciated.

Could your feet touch bottom? You mentioned you did it at the ramp. Did you go totally underwater, head and all. I am curious.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa

Wow, this again? There must be 10,000 posts on this topic.

If you are only fishing under safe conditions - calmer waters, no surf launches - you can get away with almost anything, including drytop/waders or drytop/dry bottoms. But if you expect to launch in the surf and fish far offshore in all kinds of weather, do yourself a favor and get the drysuit. Few people I know that fish the ocean in cooler months use anything but a drysuit. And the guys without it wish they had it.

I use both a drysuit in very cold and/or big water and wader / dry top combo at other times. Without going down the slippery slope of which is safer, I do find the drysuit much less restrictive that the combo. I'm definitely more comfortable in the drysuit. Like others have said, the relief zipper is a godsend.

Now they just have to make models with the "drop back" for the mornings after "mexican fiesta night". :shock:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shipwreck View Post

Could your feet touch bottom? You mentioned you did it at the ramp. Did you go totally underwater, head and all. I am curious.

My feet could not touch bottom but I didnt have my head totally under. I was checking for leakage more than anything. And to see if I was constricted in any way.

Drytop/waders only works by being tight. A drytop/dry bottom will roll together and require less tension. Neither is a good choice fo surf, but the drytop/dry bottom is definitely more comfortable in less demanding conditions. Keep in mind, being wet is not comfortable and the drysuit is the absolute best at avoiding that..

Wow, this again? There must be 10,000 posts on this topic.

If you are only fishing under safe conditions - calmer waters, no surf launches - you can get away with almost anything, including drytop/waders or drytop/dry bottoms. But if you expect to launch in the surf and fish far offshore in all kinds of weather, do yourself a favor and get the drysuit. Few people I know that fish the ocean in cooler months use anything but a drysuit. And the guys without it wish they had it.

What is far offshore? I fish tops, 2 mile out into the atlantic, I never had a need to go over that to find fish. I fish with waders, dry top and belt and sometimes I'll wear a wet suit. Occasionally I'll launch from the surf. I don't wish I had a dry suit.

Again I ask. Kayak fishing has been in the mainstream long enough with thousands who wear waders dry top and belt. Find us one example of a kayak fisherman who had a problem with waders, dry top and belt? You can't even find one who pee'd in his or her own pants because of waders worn with a dry top and belt. Yet, you want to tell others what to do. It's bizarre. I don't care what people wear. It's their choice and I respect it. I'm here to defend what I wear.