Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sudsy

137 posts in this topic

Good afternoon....I agree....A classic reel. Penn is always taking a look at ideas and opinions from anglers about reels they may be producing in the future.Any feedback on this forum will always be taken into consideration concerning new products.Letting us know what type of reels that you'd like to see and use is key.I think this is a great way to start off the Penn forum!!

I second the motion ... a Retro Greenie with the only modernization of instant anti reverse.

We'd certainly be willing to pay for modern materials and machining, but other then that keep it the same.

If we want to waterproof it we can pack it with grease, let it be our option.

OK, it doesn't like woven braids. That's OK, we all like Fireline anyway, which works great on it. Even gives you the opportunity to brand your own line. Everyone with a new (or old) 706 would buy it.

Keeping it under $300 would probably make it the most popular reel on the market today.

The only things that need upgrading are:

The bail roller - so it doesn't make that horrific noise on the retrieve

The anti reverse needs a bit of beefing up, can't handle big fish in current - the pin breaks off the frame, or the teeth on the gear break (But I'd think that modern materials and machining should take care of that)

Go back to the metal side plate. The plastic one allows the gears to spread apart under heavy pressure, rounding off the teeth.

You want a great point of view, contact Cookie (Tom Cook) here - I'm always trying to revive 706s' for him that he's managed to kill.

707 too...better yet, thread the end of a bail wire and tap a hole in the side of the roller so you build 2 reels - a righty and a left, the 706 and 707, and give the user the option of making it a 704/705. Add an instant A/R, paint the thing matte black, leave the cutouts, gold plating, and other sillyness to the boat guys and Japanese that care about looks, and give us something we can pull apart and service ourselves, cause we like to.

Guys pay 200, even 300 dollars for good-condition 706's - don't tell me you can't make a bare-bones modern version for that.

Pleeeeaaaasssseeeeeeee!!!!!

WELCOME  HappyWave.gif  Hey just a thought since we have your ear , how about making the manual pick up (PUM ) kits available for all of us who LOVE and own many of your reels ! they are impossible to find anymore and the ones out there are repos made fron zinc plating materials I am sure you would sell out with no problems !!! wink.gif    Thanks      Mike 

Hello-- I spoke to lots of penn reps in the past about bringing back the 706. Surf fishing is growing by leaps and bounds every year, and at one time the 706 was one of the stars. Yes I would highly recommend that you consider bringing it back. Update it by bringing back the metal side plate. Bring it up to speed with infinite anti reverse-- use beefy stainless bearing when you do it. Be sure that the handle is down and spool is out at each rotation. Use all stainless or brass gears- nonr of the grey metal stuff please. Drill holes for salt and sand. Give it a metal handle that holds up. Sell it for under 300 dollars and no one would be able to compete with it. I have other thoughts. If your really interested you can pm me.

Tom at Penn Fishing

I used to own Destin Rod and Reel repair in Destin Florida. I still repair reels here on the Gulf Coast. There are a lot of members on this forum that fish the Gulf region. The Penn 706 was the #1 spinning reel besides the Mitchell 302 for nearly 5 decades. The Penn 706 is still the #1 reel used as an offshore and Pier reel, the Mitchell 302 is #2. I have lived on the Gulf coast for 25 years now and still keep the 706s running for the customers. I make my own handles and port the reels for sand draining from surf fishing. Parts are rare, hard to find and expensive, but customers don't care, they just want their 706 fixed! If I had a dollar for every time I was asked if Penn was going to make the 706 again I would be rich! Then there was the gossip the last couple years here that Penn was going to make a "Gulf Series" green 706 but updated with an instant anti-reverse and balanced better. Just a rumor I guess. It would be nice to see them on the market again and I am sure Penn would not be disappointed in the sales figures. The other thing would be to make a run of replacement parts for the existing 706z reels. Thanks for reading the post and PM me if you have any questions or are looking for ideas of which I have many for this reel. Many of my input is "what the Anglers really want to use" and are now using as I have already modified their reels with these upgrades. Don't have any rotor cups laying around do you? I need some desperately...LOL..

Rick C.

Tom at Penn Fishing

I used to own Destin Rod and Reel repair in Destin Florida. I still repair reels here on the Gulf Coast. There are a lot of members on this forum that fish the Gulf region. The Penn 706 was the #1 spinning reel besides the Mitchell 302 for nearly 5 decades. The Penn 706 is still the #1 reel used as an offshore and Pier reel, the Mitchell 302 is #2. I have lived on the Gulf coast for 25 years now and still keep the 706s running for the customers. I make my own handles and port the reels for sand draining from surf fishing. Parts are rare, hard to find and expensive, but customers don't care, they just want their 706 fixed! If I had a dollar for every time I was asked if Penn was going to make the 706 again I would be rich! Then there was the gossip the last couple years here that Penn was going to make a "Gulf Series" green 706 but updated with an instant anti-reverse and balanced better. Just a rumor I guess. It would be nice to see them on the market again and I am sure Penn would not be disappointed in the sales figures. The other thing would be to make a run of replacement parts for the existing 706z reels. Thanks for reading the post and PM me if you have any questions or are looking for ideas of which I have many for this reel. Many of my input is "what the Anglers really want to use" and are now using as I have already modified their reels with these upgrades. Don't have any rotor cups laying around do you? I need some desperately...LOL..

Rick C.

Good morning Rick.......All of the information and feedback from this post and others will be fed back to the people at Penn. One of the main reasons for Penn becoming part of this great forum was to ask the angler for feedback and find out what type of new products they would be interested in seeing and using......By the way,if I do happen to stumble across some of the rotor cups,you'll be the first to know!! ;)

Tom

WELCOME  :wave:   Hey just a thought since we have your ear , how about making the manual pick up (PUM ) kits available for all of us who LOVE and own many of your reels ! they are impossible to find anymore and the ones out there are repos made fron zinc plating materials I am sure you would sell out with no problems !!! ;)     Thanks      Mike 

I def second this. They are damn near impossible to find and when you can you end up paying a ridiculous price from flea-bay. These would be awesome to see on the market more easily available.

i would sell my vs250 in a heartbeat if they made a 704 or 706 with a/r. only 2 things i like about my vs is the a/r and its bailless

Another vote for an updated 706. One other suggestion is to build it 704 size but maintain the 706 style rotor cup with the manual pick up roller. There are a couple of threads here dedicated to the return of a 706 type reel from Penn that you want to look for......