Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H'Islander

Record/Large fish & C

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

I started to post this in the VA State Record post but thought that I don't want to further pollute the man's day in the sun with more mud slinging....Instead, I'm slinging mud here.

This is not an attempt to convince anyone to change their convictions. I respect a sportsman's rights either way.

HOWEVER...this is a fishing website for fishermen, not just for f ish huggers...Having said that,:

Why is it that the C&R guys have to come out of the woodwork to offer their doomsday predictions, negative judgement and high-brow criticism any and every time someone takes a big fish? You really don't see the other side gnawing at the C&R guy's ankles about stressing a fish just so they can look at it or telling them to keep to the fishing-show simulators everytime they post a pic of the fist that they released.

I highly doubt they concern themselves with whether or not that last marvelous steak they enjoyed took away the world's capacity for breeding large, meaty and tender beef cattle.

Honestly - I'm done being nice to you all. Just congratulate the angler and then (or from the outset....) shut up. No one but your choir wants to hear your incescent whining babble about sustaining their fantasy X-Fish that possess genetic capabilities beyond the majority of the fish population.

One C&R guy posts and then the rest reply/quote with their fanny-patting (or va-jay-jay rubbing...you pick...)...yeesh...go get a friggin' foo-foo latte', will ya'll?

NEWSFLASH: Big fish are just dumb-lucky. That's it. Nothing genetic about it at all. BUT IF IT WERE....use your head for more than spitting rusty nails at other anglers while crying whiny tears for big fish....if it got to 74 pounds it's been passing on your perceived super genes for decades....the intelli-fish population is thus represented!!

let the H'Islander bashing begin....

Party-poopers, the lot of 'em. Hell, I was criticized more than once last year for actually catching and releasing small fish. They're never happy.

If you catch sub-legal fish and release them, you're damaging stocks and you suck.

If you catch large and keep them, you're damaging the stocks and you suck.

You can catch all the keepers you want, so long as you don't actually keep them. Then you are the true epitome of honor and sportsmanship.

I say eff 'em all and fish the way I like. :beers:

Anyone who would pay attention to H'Islander, a man who has been seen, and photographed, wearing a dog as a hat, deserves to be caught and released. :kook::moon::D

The above message is a personal attack on my friend Kev. :wave:

Most guys don`t practice what they preach!!!

I m always hear about C R,  but seldom see it,hooked.gif

second allot of these guys are not allowed to bring fish home shakehead.gif

Third, then there`s the I caught thousands and thousands of fish, and think that I earn the right to tell someone new what to or not to do! headscratch.gif

And some believe if ever body else release`s all there fish they will be able to catch more and bigger fish, cause they can`t catch jack sh*t

Some don`t care about littering, piping pove, fox or deer, showing a newbie some skills, driven over size trucks on the beach {with sliders},

and parking a camper`s nose to nose to claim that beach for them self's..

But don`t infringe on there rights!!!!

Most guys don`t practice what they preach!!!

I m always hear about C R,  but seldom see it

Not sure where you fish but I can tell you that there is a very large group of fishermen and fishing club in NJ that is very proactive when it comes to C & R of Striped Bass. ;)

It is truely something to see..

And in regards to the OP , it is not right in my opinion to come down on anybody in regards to their intentions as to what they do with the fish after the catch. I didn't read the thread in quesiton but would think that most of the responses were very positvie for a catch of a lifetime for the angler..

In this day and age I do think it is important to pay attention to what is going on and educating ourselves to make good decisions when it comes to this species that we all love to catch and talk about if we want to continue to do so in the future..

Steve

There is no end to internet extremists forcing their will on law abiding citizens.:dismay: You don't like whats going on...get involved politically and be proactive! Serving a rash of ****e to an angler that has accomplished a completely legal and life long dream is akin to throwing blood on citizens for wearing furs. Whats next bombing tackle shops like they do family planning offices? I'm all in favor of a slot and protecting the top tier breeders but until its enacted into law I won't criticize anyone for obeying the laws as they are written.

I totally agree with being pro choice...

I keep them sometimes but often bont because I don't feel like cleaning them. I hate cleaning a kitchen and the wife is a vegetarian so she's not cleaning up the bloody mess.

But it does feel good to c & r and have a guy next to you say hey don't release it l, let me have it! Feels even better to say, Catch your own there's tons of em out there.

It comes down to this, freedom of choice, and mutual respect for all. I do what pleases me and I don't place judgment on the guy next to me. If the regulations state two (2) 28" min., so be it. If the guy next to me on the beach is throwing them back, so what? doesn't mean anything to me. If the guy on the other side of me isn't having any luck and wants a fish I caught for dinner, I'm OK with that. I live in New Jersey and have all my life, one thing I have learned living in a very over populated state is you have to be thick skinned and  understand that no matter what you think or believe, the people with the gold (wealthy) and power (politicians) say what happens not the general population. So I'm not inclined to believe that weather or not I keep or release a striper that it will impact future fishing of stripers.

Party-poopers, the lot of 'em. Hell, I was criticized more than once last year for actually catching and releasing small fish. They're never happy.

If you catch sub-legal fish and release them, you're damaging stocks and you suck.

If you catch large and keep them, you're damaging the stocks and you suck.

You can catch all the keepers you want, so long as you don't actually keep them. Then you are the true epitome of honor and sportsmanship.

I say eff 'em all and fish the way I like. :beers:

I hear ya - I think though, that most folks that take exception to targeting, as opposed to simply catching the odd short. While the concept seems obscure, I have seen this done with recklees intent and no purpose other than to excite some false sense of accomplishment.

In the spring, or say a good January thaw, the hold-overs in a local harbor become active and you can get a good bite happening. This is an awesome time to try your skills at getting the keepers to hit, or maybe to bring your kids down to help them gain experience in working a little harder at their fishing skills because even the runts are a bit lethargic in the cold brackish water.

Then of course are the yahoos. Had a guy next to me tossing micro twisters on ultra-light trout tackle litterally screaming (I really mean it, top-o-the-lungs screaming...) "FISH-ON!" everytime he'd hook up on an 8" to 12" runt, and then proceed to try to rip off the fish's lips reeling it in like he was trying to generate electricity with that crank.

That would be what I'd call damaging stocks. Mostly because there was no evidence of interest in skill as well as zero intent, let alone equipment, to catch a legal fish.

Last Year I was Bleed to catch a 50.5# Bass, and I carried it home. And received a couple Negative Comments but the Majority were Positive. (thanks All) My answer to the Neg. comments was when you catch your 50 you can release it. I'll release my NEXT 50+ Bass