Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cortez The Killie Killer

The Fall Guy....

Rate this topic

3 posts in this topic

Have you ever had a boss that would not take responsibility for his actions and decisions, but would try to make his underlings the fall guy? How'd you handle it --- with subtlety or with a line drawn in the sand? I worked for a federal agency where some decisions were made with drone- like, mind numbing, time wasteing memos that would go back and forth forever. With a signature, the decision was approved. The agency relied upon paper files (& still does to this day). When I started I heard rumors of career ending incidents of "Why did you do that?" ---- "Uh, Uh ... You told me to?" So I started to keep a chronological file of important memos (trouble is... You never really know what's important until later) and I had it hidden in my office. I got that call one day --- "come into my office... I've got Jack from D.C. On the phone ---- Why the hell did you do this?" "Well, there's a memo in the file." Nope! No memo... Nothing. I'd of been out of my mind to make this decision without approval --- but the memo was not in the file. I went to my office, locked the door, grabbed my master file ... Found it --- with my boss's signature on it! ---- trip to Tge copy machine... Memo back in Tge book and hidden. He was still on the phone with Jack when I asked him if he wanted me to fax it to Washington. :shock:

Well, he was retiring in several months. There was no show down ... Just a "Opps, we found the documents" & an explanation as why things were done they way they were. But my boss always looked at me thru squinty eyes after that! Funny thing is, I was recruited for a position in Miami after that.