Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TeamRebel

Mildrum Guides

7 posts in this topic

Hey guys, my name is Zach and I operate one of the premier land-based shark fishing outfits in the world out of South Florida. I have been reading this forum on and off for years, and have finally decide to register. I reently aquired 3-4000 foul proof guides of all shapes sizes and brands, and while I consider myself somewhat knowledgeable about them, I dont know as much as some of the people I have seen on this forum in the past. I have A TON or sorting to do, and more questions will be asked.

However, just for starters, while I was doing the "mass" sort, I found two old roller guides in the bottom of the pile, I believe them to be Mildrums, I may be wrong, but the oddity in this is the fact that these rollers have ceramic sides on them, which I have never seen before. I am hoping that somebody on here can give me a little insight as to what they are and if they may be worth something. I will post pictures shortly. Thank you for any info you can give me!

Hi Zack, As you know the guide pictured is vintage and I haven't seen either. The ceramic sides I think probably helped with the heat friction. If you had a full set there would be some value, other than that someone might need them for parts (hard to find). If no one else can help you further, you might want to post this in the Rod Building Forum, where a lot of guys rebuild older rods and might remember these. Thanks for the pics and welcome to SOL!! Bubs

Thanks for the info and welcome bud, I come across a lot of guides from pawn shops to swap meets down here, there are more rod in florida than people, and most people dont even know what they have. But these were a new one to me. I think I will take your advice and repost a link to this thread in the rod building section, as I have a lot more guides to sort through and try to identify as I go.

Hello, my name is Mako and I am looking for vintage mildrum SRME v-frame guides, up to size 14. I have looked on ebay and so far been unsuccessful.  any guidance would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and help,

sincerely,

Mako Kato

North Country Angler

Mako

See my post to antiquated thread 'Old style Mildrum SRA guides wanted' in rod building forum for Mildrum info...I've fallen and can't get up or edit or spelll....type    geez this senior moment won't end.

REC components website (new mildrum) lists an SRCV  nickle V cradle with carbide ring.  Unlike the old Mildrum where the Mildarbide ring would be designated by an M in the third pos from the left as in SRMC.  So I'm not familiar with the last alpha E, but the SRCV sounds similar to yout description

mako

i have the V or spinning type with the staniess ring and not the Mildarbide. I have SRCs to 40mm which are much stronger framewise. A post exists of a guy trying to sell a bunch of nos Mildrums...look at how badly the SRME cradles failed and how unMildrum they appear. Old school, technology whatever ... when you get older the names and hype don't mean much....single footed, lighter stronger stuff with polysyllabic names and materials seem to crumple ..... Nickle cradled Mildrums acquire a gorgeous patina when left unmolested that complements the mildarbide rings. I understand the need to match a set...other than that SRMCs or one of the less abrupt frame models are no brainers. Maybe someone has a pic of one groove with a file or something.. anyway I'm unable to buy or sale during the orientation period, thats not why I'm here.. I can match your srme with a stainless..dont have a large selection.. the SRCs have a gray almost bead blasted finish like the old SRA

I'll add some pics so you can compare

EBAY431.jpg