Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dannyott1106

kayak fly fishing

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I have looked into this myself, not for open water like you are doing but for lakes and rivers. I have heard some good things about the freedom hawks if you like to stand alot, they tend to paddle like a tug though. They also offer a trolling motor attatchment if youd rather use it as a small skiff.

I don't bring higher end stuff out on the yak. Typically a Teton Tioga and a TFO rod. Size depends on what your targeting. Remember, you have built in drag just by being in the kayak.

No problems casting while seated here, so no need to get a standup version. A wet towel over your lap helps pervent line snag.

As far as rod holders, for me, I'm not a fan of Scotty holders, be they fly, spin, etc..I prefer RAM tubes.

Use a length of PVC with a slot cut into it,similar to Blue water designs holders. put some velcro around the top and stuff it into the RAM tube or your factory rear flush mount.Wrap some tape around it for a tight fit.

thanks. im new to all of this. got some friends that got me crazy. i bought a revo and i cant wait to get out. i feel like i need to put foam on all my outfits so they wont sink if i flip. haha. ill mostly be after stripers and ill do some light freshwater stuff too.

I may try a shorter rod this year for easier landing.

If you leash your rods, I prefer thin bungee from West Marine with loops that are whipped or nail knotted with heat shrink tubing over the tie. The coiled type leashes always seem to get line and other things snagged on them.

You're going to love it.

All the best

Dave

Choosing a kayak is so personal that it's hard to recommend one for another person. I use a Malibu eXtreme, but that was handed down to me. Lots of people use the Ocean Kayak Prowlers. Best way to know is to try before you buy.

You could also try posting in the Kayak Forum.

I use the Scotty holders on mine, but they can be awkward when trolling. Otherwise they work well.

Edit: I started my reply shortly after your initial post. Noticed you already have a yak. As for a fly setup, I'll second that you shouldn't bring an expensive outfit out--leashed or not. I like 8 foot rods for mine. Ross FlyStik's and Redington Predators would be good choices.

You'll enjoy the Revo,nice boat.Don't be too concerned about losing gear.Sure it happens,but if you go back and read the "how I lost all my gear tales of woe"more often than not its because they weren't paying attention to what they should have been.In the 10+ yrs I've been yak flyfishing in salt.Mostly around Cape Ann I've never lost anything in the drink.I dont leash down fly rods( not knocking them I just find them cumbersome while trying to manage a lapful of fly line).As far as leaving your "good" gear home I guess I understand that but don't practice it.I love my gear and want to fish with it.Whats the point of owning nice stuff if you're too afraid to use it?(.02)I've used both the Scotty and Ram rod holders and like them both.Think about how to rig your boat to make it flycast friendly.One of the coolest things about yak flyfishing is not having to let wind direction ruin your day.You can almost always position yourself to make the cast with the wind working to your advantage.Good Luck

When I did kayak fish I leashed everything ............. my SOT kayaks were Heritage kayaks and through they paddled very fast they would tip very fast as well if you did not keep your shoulders over you butt. I finally bought some inflatable sponsons from Canada and had them rigged just above the waterline so that they only touched the water when I made a body position error. This stopped my swimming and I highly recommend these on any tippy kayaks.

I ended up with 4 kayaks : 2 Heritage SOT's (a Sea Dart and a Nomad II), a Kiwi Stealth SOT twin hull dive kayak electric powered, and a Mokai jet drive SIS kayak (my favorite ... always said if I wanted exercise I would join a gym and watch the pretty girls till I dropped with a heart attack ;) ) I have not had a one of them wet the past 4-5 years ..... they just sit hung in the garage and the shed daring me to get my old fat butt out on them. With age comes wisdom ;) ........ my grandkids will love them when I am gone.

Danny,

Take a look at the SOL kayak Forum. I'm sure it is loaded with good answers for new kayakers. When I started on another fishing site, their kayak forum helped me a lot. Check out the archives by looking for other new yakers in the past and see what they need to ask and read the answers. it will help you speed up the learning curve. Welcome aboard.