Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Storm

Newbie wetsuit question?

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Go try them on, every brand has a slightly different fit. I fit great in Xcel's and Hyperflexs. Probably need more information though. What are you using it for primarily? How cold is the water going to be? etc.

Planning on using them for striper fishing Spring-Fall, RI, Mass, CT, NY. Do you have more than one suit for different times of the year? I told you I was a newbie to this...lol

Thanks for the help.

I surf and shoot surfing photography from in the water. So to say I have a quiver of wetsuits is an understatement. Right now in NJ the water temps are still above 40 and I am in a hooded 5/4/3 with 5mm booties and 5mm gloves. When the water is in the 30's I reach for a 6/5/4 if the air temps are chilly and go with 7mm boots.

I can't say exactly what you'll need as I've only visited and surfed in RI in Aug/Sept during some hurricanes. I'm guessing a nice 4/3 would probably suffice depending how early in the spring you want to start.

Try on some suits,try one piece,or 2pieces.See how easy they are for you to get in and out of .And please remember to get one that fits snug.It's pointless to use a wetsuit that is baggy or loose been seeing that more and more.I also carry around some soap/water in a sprayer,every time your done you can clean it.

Keeping the funk off is a great plus.Also a good rubber matt or tote to store your wetsuit.And yes you need atleast 2suits or you will be too hot or cold.

Having scuba dived for over 20 years I can tell you a thing or two about wetsuits.....A cheap suit or a suit that doesn't fit your actual body size corectly will kill you. It will squeeze, exhaust, strangle and rub you raw. A generic suit off the rack won't fit most people.

Yes, it will cost you $$. But it will be well worth it. Go to a scuba shop, explain what you want the suit for, you don't need a thicker suit. They will measure you and fit you with a custom suit. When it comes to the wetsuit booties, make sure you get a pair with the thickest, hard bottom soles. You will be able to walk miles down the beach comfortably, and fish all night long without even noticing a custom wetsuit.

A 4/3 is a suit than you can wear from early spring to late fall....In the colder months you can throw a dry top over it. The best time to buy a 4/3 wetsuit is in the summer because it's considered a colder months wetsuit....I bought mine in the summer for 50% off. They usually have deals on wetsuits when the particular wetsuit is out of season. Hope this helps a little.

not sure where you'll be fishing or what your using the wetsuit for, but i can give some advice for starting out in montauk.  two things that will help.  its useful to know where your rock is before you start swimming out to it.  take a trip in the spring time in the day light and swim the outer edges of the reefs with fins, and snorkel and a mask.  this will help you find fishable rocks that arent visible at the waters surfcace.  for the first trip, make it a daytime trip.  just so you get used to mounting the rocks and dealing with the waves/ current, and never go out past your comfort level. 

as for what to wear, i prefer henderson wetsuits, great quality and fit me well.  i dont see a need to get a custom fit unless you have really short legs, really long legs, very short, very tall, or very round lol. your dive shop can advise you on that though.  you want something very flexible so you dont get fatigued casting for hours on end.  again, henderson makes a great product for this.  as for thickness, i went the other way than most.  i choose a 5mm/7mm suit.  one, the 7mm takes a beaten and absords alot more.  helpful when you get beat up on the rocks or getting tossed around.  it offers a littl more cushioning. 2. unless your skishing or fishing in chest deep water, i tend to get cold when out of the water in a wetsuit, even in august.  the wind cuts right through it, so having a little extra insulation helps.  also i wear my old breathable top over it in the colder months.  and for the walk your fishing location, i'll tie the arms around my waste and walk top less in the warmer months.  that said though i am planning on getting a lighter weight suit for july and august.  pick yourself up a good quality dive knife to keep with you also.  you dont want to be wading out and getting tangled in fishing line or stuck in debris without being able to cut yourself out.  and something else, leash everything you have on to your belt and go with a smaller size plug bag attached to your belt, either through the belt loops or with a d ring.  the bag will float up on you while swimming or wading so you need some way to keep it down at your waist.  hope this helped

i get cold really fast. ended up buying a 7mm core, 5mm  extremity. but i'd be more comfortable in a 3mm for july/ august. if you don't care about the potential of a previous owner peeing in the suit you can score a cheap one off craigslist. a lot of guys either drop weight/ gain weight and need to get an other suit over the course of the winter. i got mine from a surfer who gained weight and only used his suit for 1 season. gotta try it on. i would just ask someone their height and weight, then you could gage wether it's even worth the trip to check it out.