Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Samak

Beach driving tips specifically for ml320

9 posts in this topic

I am looking for advice on how to operate my 1999 ml 320 on the beach. For example, should i turn off ESP? Should i ever put it in "low range"? Should i keep it in drive on the beach or keep it in a low gear? What pressure should i air down to? Are there issues with the plastic bumper being ripped up by sand mounds (i read in a different forum that this is a common problem on the Rubicon Trail)? What else should i watch out for?

Thanks in advance for all your input. This is a very generous community.

I am looking for advice on how to operate my 1999 ml 320 on the beach. For example, should i turn off ESP? Should i ever put it in "low range"? Should i keep it in drive on the beach or keep it in a low gear? What pressure should i air down to? Are there issues with the plastic bumper being ripped up by sand mounds (i read in a different forum that this is a common problem on the Rubicon Trail)? What else should i watch out for?

Thanks in advance for all your input. This is a very generous community.

Let me ask you something, if you got stuck(which is probable) do you even have a tow package so someone can attach a tow rope?

I have tow points in the rear only. Need to look at how to connect in the front. The car is a 4x4 not an awd. Have you been stuck in one? Is this a bad idea?

What beaches are you driving on? If it's daytona type you'll be fine. If it's northeast beaches like Gilgo beach, you could run into problems like soft deep sand that could bury your suv up to it's chassis. Most of Beach driving is driver error, so I'll give you some advice: Air down to 15 to 18 PSI, Stay in tracks that other trucks have made. Never attempt to go up an incline or make sharp turns. If you feel like your gonna be stuck, stop get out and clear the sand away, DO NOT gun it you will just dig yourself in. Make sure you have a tow rope, boards and shovel. The biggest problem I see is if you get stuck and the only access for someone to pull you out is your front, then your in trouble. Tow bills off the beach can run into hundreds of dollars. Other then that you should be fine if you follow above advice. This is what I drive and I've almost got stuck once or twice

What beaches are you driving on? If it's daytona type you'll be fine. If it's northeast beaches like Gilgo beach, you could run into problems like soft deep sand that could bury your suv up to it's chassis. Most of Beach driving is driver error, so I'll give you some advice: Air down to 15 to 18 PSI, Stay in tracks that other trucks have made. Never attempt to go up an incline or make sharp turns. If you feel like your gonna be stuck, stop get out and clear the sand away, DO NOT gun it you will just dig yourself in. Make sure you have a tow rope, boards and shovel. The biggest problem I see is if you get stuck and the only access for someone to pull you out is your front, then your in trouble. Tow bills off the beach can run into hundreds of dollars. Other then that you should be fine if you follow above advice. This is what I drive and I've almost got stuck once or twice

always air down, 16, 17 lbs, speed limit on beach is usually 10 miles an hour, so ripping off bumpers, even plastic

ones shouldnt be an issue.I keep it in drive and will use 4wd low if sand is soft and really torn up.

Turn off ESP. Air down to 15 psi. I prefer 4WD low, but 4WD hi will work. If you have the ability to lock the center differential, then lock it. I've never seen a bumper cover ripped off by sand.

Drive with caution. If the place you are planning to drive doesn't have tire tracks, there is probably a reason, so don't drive that way. When you stop, stop high where you don't have to go upwards when you start moving again - avoid parking on the low side.