Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KOSS

Hooks....again

Rate this topic

54 posts in this topic

Help. I need to adjust my approach for the coming spring. I missed Waaaaay too many fish in 2011. In fact, I missed 9 hi quality hits in a row in a perfect spot, on a perfect may morning. Last year I switched from 15/0 mustads to 10/0 gami big eyes. I was missing a few fish with the mustads so I thought a change was in order. It didn't work out so I need to reevaluate my approach again. When using big chunks or heads, I fish with a relatively loose drag and clicker engaged.

As a side note, I caught a bunch of fish this year on a hi-lo rig with the rod spiked and the drag, as my buddy Steve would say, "fish fightin tight." My hook-up ratio was 100%. I was using owner tournament mutus with this rig. They're nice but aren't appropriate for big chunks or heads.

I've purchased and plan to try...Mustad demon perfect in-line circle 10/0 and Owner SSW in-line circle 10/0.

So, what are you folks using and why?

9/0 big eyes .... i have some 10/0s too... and someone was nice enough to give me a pack of 11/0's to catch trash fish with... :p .. right after I won the coveted title in the RDT this fall...

Im trying to find the 'new crab hook" (39951NP-BN) still... but finding the 10/0's that have the same point/barb as the 9/0's are a challenge. Once I find them, im going to buy them all :D;) .... err what i meant so say is that they are crap hooks, never use them :D

I have a secret hook, iv told you about them... My uncle bought a bunch of 8/0 big eye's, I never used one (gap was too small) till i pulled it apart 3/8" ill give you a few next time i see you.

Iv looked around too... and I wish mustad made the new 39944-BN bigger than 7/0 :(

I want to test out some 39950NP-BN

IMO (which ain't humble) ya can't go wrong with the 9/0 big eye. It is my favorite, numero uno hook. If they would downsize the wire a gauge it would be perfect. I've been trying some other stuff, and have caught fish on 'em. But when I have that big eye on and the rod goes down I KNOW that fish is gonna end up on the beach. I could go on and on about hooks but I won't. Let's just say I'll use other stuff but when big honkin' fish are around it's gonna be a 9/0 big eye.

About setting your drag...fish fightin' tight is just right IMO.

I have fished opened up 8/0 big eyes and prefer the 9/0. No data to back that up, though. As for the 39950NP-BN...I think those hooks are offset, which IMO is not a good thing. I think with sharp, offset hooks you get too many lip and skin hooks which can cause a grown man to cry when they pull out. I dunno. Mebbe we beat on this stuff more than we need to. Last spring I met a nice young fellow. Showed him how to tie his rigs and gave him a handful of VMC hooks. He caught the snot outta fish with those hooks. Nothing fancy about 'em...they were of good size, non-offset, and sorta sharp with a nice point. Methinks lotsa hooks will meet those criteria and will serve just fine. If I'm catching 40" fish I don't much care what kinda hook I have as long as it is of good size, non-offset, and sorta sharp with a nice point. Plenty of hooks meet these criteria. But if I'm catching 45+" fish or reds you better believe my hook is a 9/0 big eye.

I'll look into 9/0 big eyes and I already decided that I'm going to give the tight drag thing a whirl. I'll have some new spikes to test out anyway....

I really wanted to buy some of the Matzuos but I can't find them anywhere.

Koss

Its the 15/0 cheap mustads for me. I offset them a tad and sharpen. Another thought. You know for many years I was using a little piece of 100 lb shocker between my bait and my std 50lb shocker. I think at times when the fish ran, the snap hit the heavy 100/50lb knot and pulled bait right from her mouth when spiking. Since I have gone to just one 80lb shocker to my running line I don't miss fish anymore. Hate to use heavy shocker as lose a few feet in distance but its worth the lower anxiety.

Dave... did you get rid of the snell line to the swivel (in a fish-finder) connection to the shock? so now you just use a long 80lb line that is connected to the hook on one end, and the running knot on the reel end? The weight moves without restriction along this 80lb? just trying to picture in my head...

decided that I'm going to give the tight drag thing a whirl. I'll have some new spikes to test out anyway....

Yep, you better have it spiked good. No telling what might grab yer bait! I got some 6' heavy spikes from Chris & when ya wiggle them in good they are set. Love 'em.

Koss

Its the 15/0 cheap mustads for me. I offset them a tad and sharpen. Another thought. You know for many years I was using a little piece of 100 lb shocker between my bait and my std 50lb shocker. I think at times when the fish ran, the snap hit the heavy 100/50lb knot and pulled bait right from her mouth when spiking. Since I have gone to just one 80lb shocker to my running line I don't miss fish anymore. Hate to use heavy shocker as lose a few feet in distance but its worth the lower anxiety.

Hi Dave, hope all is well.

I have always used a single 50-60# shock leader when fishing for bass and drum. Never used the short, heavy shock to shock leader to running line method. As long as I check my terminal knot every few casts it seems to work just fine for me.

I still have a ton of the 15/0 mustads and I've caught some very nice fish on them. They may see the sand again this year.

I started using the Owner SSW in-line 10/0 hooks about 2 years ago and haven't had any problems missing knockdowns or dropping fish with them. Before I switched, I was using Gami' octopus 8/0 and was starting to get in a bad habit of dropping fish in the wash or halfway through the fight. There is a noticeable change in the number I miss since I switched. I fish the Owner 10/0's on hi-lo and fish finders using spinning gear with the drag set tight, unless I'm by myself and I loosen it a bit so I don't risk losing a rod if I'm down the beach fighting another fish and can't get to it right away. I've use them with little quarter pieces of peeler up to bunker heads (hooked through the lips) without issues. I have missed hits when using bluefish heads for red drum bait though. Maybe it's the blues head size or shape but they will come back in flat as a pancake so I know something (drum or ray) at least had the bait in its mouth. Happened at least twice this fall. Only time I don't use them is when the biters are thick. They get the cheap rusty don't care if I lose them hooks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyOC View Post

Im trying to find the 'new crab hook" (39951NP-BN) still... but finding the 10/0's that have the same point/barb as the 9/0's are a challenge. Once I find them, im going to buy them all biggrin.gifwink.gif .... err what i meant so say is that they are crap hooks, never use them biggrin.gif

Just an FYI if you're interested.  I used these this fall and really liked them.  I was down in Tampa for work and also visiting my brother  a couple months ago and we stopped by one of his local tackle shops.  The shop had like 10 of the 39951BLN-10 in the 25hooks/pack.  I should have bought them but I had already tied up a bunch of rigs with the ones I got from old inlet.

I just shot him an email to check and see if they still have them.  He's gonna check and if they do I can have them shipped up to me.  You are certainly welcome to as many as you need if I can get them.