Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Garv

Montgomery County MD. Bag tax, an interesting obversation

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Montgomery County Maryland, after the first of the year, instituted a plastic bag tax under the guise to protect the environment (instead of banning them which certainly would).

I use the reusable bags because I fish and I see the plastic ones floating in the water all the time :mad: Also, the reusable ones carry more stuff.

The bag tax is 5 cents per bag, everyone pays regardless of who they are. At the point of purchase, the citizen is asked if they would like a bag and how many? Then the tax is charged.

Let me tell you, I have seen people go to great lengths, carrying groceries out in thier arms rather than pay the tax, and I shop in an area frequented by very poor to upper middle class.

Funny how any tax seems like alot when you have to make the conscious decision to pay it.

Montgomery County Maryland, after the first of the year, instituted a plastic bag tax under the guise to protect the environment (instead of banning them which certainly would).

I use the reusable bags because I fish and I see the plastic ones floating in the water all the time :mad: Also, the reusable ones carry more stuff.

The bag tax is 5 cents per bag, everyone pays regardless of who they are. At the point of purchase, the citizen is asked if they would like a bag and how many? Then the tax is charged.

Let me tell you, I have seen people go to great lengths, carrying groceries out in thier arms rather than pay the tax, and I shop in an area frequented by very poor to upper middle class.

Funny how any tax seems like alot when you have to make the conscious decision to pay it.

I assume the tax is added to the bill, like sales tax...so food stamp uers do not pay the tax?

Here's another, supermarkets in France sell plastic bags for 25 cents each (bigger, stronger plastic, and reinforced handles), certainly encouraged recycling, I was amazed how many customers in the checkout line were pulling out used bags to pack their groceries.

Yes, Government using the heavy hand of taxation to enforce social change & policy. Another death knell on the Liberty Bell concerning our personal freedoms. My grocery story is now GIVING away FREE canvas bags, as the desired lessening of plastic bag use is NOT coming about voluntarily. When this carrot fails, I fully expect the whipping stick to come out, to llash us poor non Eco whackos into submission. :dismay:

Yes, Government using the heavy hand of taxation to enforce social change & policy.
Exactly.

I wonder how people would feel about the store charging a nickle for each bag. They'd probably be accused of being filthy capitalists.

Instead, a tax by the government, and the environmentalists cheer.

:dismay:

I funny how the govt charges taxes in name of environmental policy. They tax bags, gas,liquor, tobacco, ect. So, I guess it's ok to pollute the air, dump plastic in the ocean, drink yourself into a stupor, or smoke yourself into Hospice as long as the Govt gets it's cut. 

Exactly.

I wonder how people would feel about the store charging a nickle for each bag. They'd probably be accused of being filthy capitalists.

Instead, a tax by the government, and the environmentalists cheer.

:dismay:

It's a win win for the gov and grocery stores. You didn't think you were actually getting those plastic bags for free right? The stores will be able to buy less of those plastic bags even though the money is factored into the price of food and will get to keep that extra cash. On top of that they can now sell you those re-usable bags for 1-2 bucks or whatever they cost...... The gov of course is happy cause they found another way to tax people.

BTW, I thought you guys only cared about Fed income tax and all those other taxes hitting the middle class didn't mean sheet?

John

BTW, I thought you guys only cared about Fed income tax and all those other taxes hitting the middle class didn't mean sheet?

John

Plastic sheet?

:D.:D.:D

The government finding another way to confiscate money is not a win.  It is a lose.

At least in this case, the end user has a reasonable option. They can pay the tax for plastic or select paper (assuming that paper is still offered) or they can bring their own bag.

It's definitely not good news if you are in any way in the business of plastic shopping bags.

At least in this case, the end user has a reasonable option. They can pay the tax for plastic or select paper (assuming that paper is still offered) or they can bring their own bag.

It's definitely not good news if you are in any way in the business of plastic shopping bags.

Sounds like its for paper and plastic. I know that some stores around here will give you a CREDIT towards your purchase, per bag. I know A&P does that. So you purchase the bag and once it pays for itself you can save per bag on your groceries. Its a great idea for an old hen that goes food shopping every afternoon.

Been using reusable canvas totes going on 4 years now. Some places I fish are littered with dozens of white plastic bags, so I'm supremely in favor of anything that will minimize the use of plastic bags. And yeah, sometimes gummint has to coerce people to do the right thing.

. And yeah, sometimes gummint has to coerce people to do the right thing.
That's sad.

A better way would be to let the store decide what bags they want to supply to their customers, and let their customers decide what bags they chose to use.

It would be much better if the store had decided to impose a .05 cent charge per bag instead of the government charging a .05 cent tax.

Prior to this, and even after this law went into affect, the stores give a 5 cent credit per reusable bag used. So before the tax you saved 5 cents per bag, now you save 10 cents per bag... for now.

If the government cared, they would ban the bags, it is so blatant what their goals are, it's disgusting. It's ok, the rich will adapt and use reusable bags, the poor, lazy and stupid will pay the tax.

If the government cared, they would ban the bags, it is so blatant what their goals are, it's disgusting. It's ok, the rich will adapt and use reusable bags, the poor, lazy and stupid will pay the tax.
Not so caring if you are in the plastic shopping bag business, now is it?