Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
g2h

Need help picking a reel for my dad

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Going to buy my dad a reel , he's been thru a lot the last year, want to give a little back for all he's done for me. It will be mostly for scup, tog, and on occasion some striped bass on the canal. Bottom fishing. Mono only, don't want him to have to deal with braid. He turns 70 in June. I want to give it to him in a few weeks. Thanks in advance.

Spinning, @170.00. Nothing too fancy, easy enough to dissamble in the field. Something easy to crank. Dependable . Leaning towards the Daiwa BG60.

Spinning, @170.00. Nothing too fancy, easy enough to dissamble in the field. Something easy to crank. Dependable . Leaning towards the Daiwa BG60.

31 views, 1 reply. :confused:

I prefer baitcasters for bottom fishing, although have a couple of Diawa Emcast Plus 5000 that I'll use too. That BG60 will likely do well for him. Never used one myself, but do like the Diawa spinning reels.

I'm sure you'll get people chiming in here once the work crowd logs on. I was going to suggest a Penn Battle, but I'm not sure how they'd be with mono. Have only used braid on them. not familiar with that Daiwa reel. All of my bottom fishing has been with conventionals. Hopefully someone is more help than me.

I have had 2 BG 60's for ~7 years each. I bait fish from the beach with them and all I have ever done is rinse them off with freshwater and changed the line twice in that time. They are great reels; you'll be hard pressed to find better value.

Penn you have the slammer,or the spinfisher.

Daiwa Emblem or for a few extra bucks you have the saltist.

Shimano you have the spheros.

But out all of them I like the Quantum Cabo the 50 and 80 are awesome reels.

Good luck and I commend you for looking out for your dad.

The BGs are pretty danged durable... the only downside is that they're relatively heavy. Nothing wrong with them though, although I'm not sure if they have an anti reverse bearing or not... depending on what he's used to, he may not care... but the weight may be a deciding factor for him, especially if he's 70. :)

My old man fishes 2 Spheros a 4000 and a 6000 and loves em both - as others stated above reel would be a great choice for your Dad. I would also take a look at the Stradic FJ 5000 or 6000.

MD51

I love to Spheros too but for the application at hand (mono and bottom fishing), the BG is really a better choice. It's a very tough reel. If you were casting lures with braid, I'd probably would have said Spheros.