Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Giorgos

Covering 15m pro fishing wooden boat with fiberglass

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Hello friends.I own a 15m fishing boat.It is made of wood in 1999.The hull is made of iroco and keel/frames from pine.

My biggest problem is water leaks and maintenance.The boat is the best for the job i do.She is stable as much as possible in rough seas,fast for her size,heavy,etc.

I am thinking of fiberglassing the hull,deck and superstructure.Why to do such a thing?

The job is hard and easily paints are off from wood!!!I tried to make the deck as waterproof as possible but no matter what i do water leaks exist.These leaks either from hull either from deck causes many problems.The water converts into moisture that kills all of my equipment,either mechanical either electronic.

Rust is everywhere.I am tired of painting engines and other things.I spend a lot of money in paints and maintenance of pumps,engines and other.

The best thing is to change boat but this is not something i can do for various reasons.If i fiberglass the hull,deck and superstructure of the boat and do it in a way that will be 100% sure that water will not pass between fiberglass and wood will i have problems with rot?What can i do to ensure that fiberglass will not seperate from the hull?Should i nail it onto the hull after 2 layers of fiberglass and after to put another 5 layers?I don't mind about extra weight.I need extra weight.Please guys guide me through this.I am 50-50 to do it or not.But i find no other solution to minimize expences of maintanance and damage to all my equipment due to moisture.

Thanks in advance friends.

ΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ (15).JPGΠΑΝΑΓΙΑ (17).JPG

Beautiful boat, too bad she leaks so bad. All wood boats take on some water, but your situation sounds extreme. I'm no fiberglass expert, so I can't help you. Good luck. 

That's a beauty.

I'm no expert either, but I would be very concerned about glassing over a 12 year old boat. I think it would be nearly impossible to get it completely dry, not to mention stripping off all the paint. I would be afraid of encapsulating moisture and having delamination issues. Not to mention that it is a huge job, and rather costly.

Epoxy, not fiberglass.... We did this 15 years ago on a 1957 beals Island lobster boat my brother has. It was out of water for 15 months as we needed to take a lot of the hog out of the starboard side where the pot hauler had been. This was done slowly by giving the supports a turn every week. It was inside a shrinkwrap shed and the hull was dry by the time we began to epoxy, to the point that we could "mail a letter" between the planking all over. (while waiting for the hull to move, we also rebuilt the transom, deck, doghouse and re-powered) Look into west system, as that is what we used. Pay attention to temperature, mixing, and direction of laying cloth, rove, and matting.