Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ctstriper

Question on New Stradic J 4000

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

My lovely wife bought me a new Stradic FJ 4000. Nice surprise in that I have been talking about it, and so she went ahead and purchased it on line. I was surprised there was no spare spool in the box. So am I wondering, did Shimmano stop putting the extra spool in the box or did we get short changed? The box does not say spare spool. If no longer a spare spool, seems like a pretty big cost jump. from the FH:confused:

You were not shortchanged... There is no spare spool w/ the new reels unfortunately. A lot of guys (myself included) do miss that for sure. The good news is, your wife just bought you an awesome new reel! Enjoy it.

Yeah, it's a very hot reel, love mine.  But the price increase on top of no spare spool is a little disappointing, I'll admit.  They're opening the door wide for the Penn Sargus/Battle reels, when the Stradic ran around $100/$110 and at that same price would blowing the doors off the new Penn reels.  Wait, that was only 4 yrs ago!  At over $200, the new Stradic is in a whole different ballpark of competition. 

Keep in mind today's Stradic (FJ) has more to offer than 4 years ago's Sustain. Besides the lack of spare spool, features have been upgraded and improved.

I don't think shimano is offering spare spools on many if any of their reels anymore.....but honestly what other companies are? You can spend close to a grand on a stella and you don't get a spare spool. I think that as the spools themselves have become more 'engineered' in the past few years that they just aren't the cheap piece of metal that they used to be. And the spare graphite spools that you used to get with some of their reels don't really appeal to most people since braid can do bad things to them and they're 'unappealing' aesthetics.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MV Bluefish View Post

Keep in mind today's Stradic (FJ) has more to offer than 4 years ago's Sustain. Besides the lack of spare spool, features have been upgraded and improved.

Oh yeah, I'm with you, the new Shimano Stradic is a killer fine machine.  The beastly drag, the hardened gearing, the line stacking/handling, the light but stiff frame, the super high speed retrieve - the reel is loaded.  The $200+ price tag takes the edge off, that's all I meant.  Most people won't go that high.  The Stradic used to be a more mid-priced selection but it has entered another realm.  I hope Shimano is coming up with something for salt water specific use that fills in the gap between the Socorro and the Stradic, if they don't then the Penn is going to sell a bunch of reels in that $80-$120 range the Stradic used to dominate a few years ago.  Shrewd marketing scheme by Pure Fishing - the owner of Penn- to go for the gap in prices that Shimano created.  Though I'd rather have one Shimano than two Penns the present pricing/value situation will lead many to at least try the Battle before taking out another $100 for the Stradic or even more for a Sargosa.