Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MikeBlue

10'6" or 11'0"

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

It seems to me that 6" can make a big difference when choosing a rod so I wanted to post this. I bought a used 10'6" Mojo this fall but the reel to butt distance was too short, so using some PVC pipe I added a 6" extension. Several days later I had the rod leaning on the side of my truck next to my 11' DBlue and noticed that from butt to reel to tip the rods lined up almost identical. Do I have an 11' Mojo or a 10'6" Dblue?

I would say 11` mojo? Only because you said you added pvc pipe. Can you post some pictures of that mojo with the extension? I want to see what it looks like.

for plugging, I dont see a significant difference between a 10' and 11" rod...yea there is some, but I think when you add it all up a rod closer to 10 is better...same make/model obviously.....for me anyway...

10' is a little easier on my back (spinning)

much easier to transport

distance difference isnt that large

Mofish, I am unable to post pictures right now but it was cheap and easy to do and can be undone in 2 minutes. I was just experimenting and ended up fishing with the extension all fall. I cut a piece of 1" pvc pipe about 13-14 inches long. The inside diameter of the pipe is just a hair bigger than the Mojo grip and with no knob it will slip right on. I put a couple of wraps of medical adhesive tape on the end of the rod, just enough to make a snug fit but still loose enough to allow me to slip the pipe on. Then 6-7 inches up the grip I put another couple of wraps of tape but I started small and overlapped more as I went up. The second wrap needs to big enough so that as you slip the pipe over it the pipe will 'wedge' on it firmly. It helps to take the inside edge of the pipe off with some sandpaper. I twisted the pipe as I forced over the tape, it ended up sticking to it firmly and there was no looseness or shifting. I cut the end to size and added an end cap. I fished it and found the pipe too smooth and a little slippery. I took the extension back off and using the edge of grinding wheel I cut deep grooves around the pipe. I put the extension back on and had no problems with it. It looks a little crude but who cares, I wouldn't take it to Montauk and use it for support while climbing rocks but for the surf and jetty fishing that I do it works fine. If I decide I don't like it I can pull the pipe off and remove the tape, no problem and it only costs a couple of bucks to try.