Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
passiton

Fishing in NJ for February,

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

As usual, post reports here.......as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader. Please don't post specific street names or areas. Sometimes just a town name is too much information! Doing so only adds to the traffic in certain areas and it might cause an internet feud. For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no. Feel free to share any thoughts you might have on local conditions and "I got the old skunkaroo" reports" are OK too.

Some popular acronyms:

SH- Sandy Hook

NoMoCo- Northern Monmouth County

SoMoCo- Southern Monmouth County

SFZ-Spring Fling Zone (SRI-Shark River Inlet to MI- Manasquan Inlet)

OC Ocean County

IBSP-Island Beach State Park

LBI- Long Beach Island

AC- Atlantic County

CISP- Corson's Inlet State Park

CMC- Cape May County

CMR- Cape May Rips

DB- Delaware Bay

Can't believe I'm planning a feb 1 fishing trip and all I'll need is a sweatshirt

Srsly, maybe the Mayans were onto something :shock:

Can't believe I'm planning a feb 1 fishing trip and all I'll need is a sweatshirt

Hopefully so....too bad their prediction didnt come with epic striped bass fishing seasons. :shock:

By this time every year I've hit at least three fishing shows or flea markets and jonesing for the next because fishing is still a few months away. I haven't been to a show yet and not even checking the up coming show schedule. Fish on!

I was so unwell this am i had to come down to the rocks immediately. Damn migraines. Nothing at the first stop

You will be kicking yourself for burning the day off in a few months. Untill then, I hate you. ;)

As I sit in a typical BS liberal arts college course I can't help but think how I could be fishing in this gorgeous weather. Except I am learning about the wonderful arts of the 1700s. Is it bad that instead of paying attention I either crawl here or I budget out how much money I am going to spend on gear and lures?

I was torn between SW and FW today. Haven't had the FW stuff out for a while. My search yielded a fly rod I hadn't used since a Montana trip 20 years ago and enough FW lures to last for years. I did finally find my FW fly reels but ended up rummaging for what I need to get this 406 I picked up on fleabay good to go. Last couple of trips to the shore haven't lived up to my expectations, so I'm trying to plan around best tide conditions and hoping this great weather will continue to cooperate.

Fished SoAC today, water was a bit cloudy probably from the am rain. Threw a few lures with no hits but for the hell of I then threw a DOA shrimp on a 1/2 egg sinker and managed a few small hits(I was using an 8'XFS Shimano rod and Penn 712z) since I knew the only chance I had was catching schoolies. Also soaked some salted clam with no luck.

I'll try again tomorrow if it's not raining, wonder how Gulp! Bloodworms would work this time of year?

got off of work early and decided to surf instead of fish today, ended up seeing a small bass chase a herring on the surface right next to me in the water, it was pretty cool

unloaded the vehicle, piled everything on the back deck, and hosed it all down. will throw my 8' croix this month if i feel the need, but will be out and about in 4 weeks when the back opens up. time for plug building and teaser tying.

Found some lonely looking rocks at sunset today and got my first keepers of the year. Kept one for dinner. Found 8 rock crabs in its belly but they were all over the sp minnow I was throwing.

Decided to give it a quick try around 5:00 p.m., before going to my monthly veteran's meeting. Got three, biggest 25". These fish were not loaded and you had to work for them, but it was a sweatshirt night in FEBRUARY! The winter that never was! Hope it doesn't turn into the spring the ocean froze! :)