Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DBow

Any Thoughts on Penn Battle Reels

5 posts in this topic

For snagging Bunker. I kayak fish a ton and have three sustains. I do not expect it to be a sustain. For the price I hope it will lift a ton of bunker before it craps out.

I don't know a thing about the Penn Battle. Like any spinning reel short of a sealed proven reel like a VS, ZB or prehaps Stella SW or similiar, it would be wise for a kayak fishermen to strip the reel down and if shields are present on the bearings, pop the covers off and load em with blue grease. Use a brush and paint blue grease inside the cover and on sliding parts....doing this simple maintenance from my experience will get more life out of a reel.

it would be wise for a kayak fishermen to strip the reel down

Hey Tuco...the last spinning reel that I stripped down I wound up sending off to Long Island for service. I could not get the damn thing back together without a little tick on every 360 degree rotation. It happened to be a Penn Battle. I'll just send my spinners out to a shop from now on for service. I love the Battle so far. It's got a great drag. I really need one more season on both a 3000 and 4000 Battle to give a full endorsement.

Hey Tuco...the last spinning reel that I stripped down I wound up sending off to Long Island for service. I could not get the damn thing back together without a little tick on every 360 degree rotation. It happened to be a Penn Battle. I'll just send my spinners out to a shop from now on for service. I love the Battle so far. It's got a great drag. I really need one more season on both a 3000 and 4000 Battle to give a full endorsement.

That's too bad. I feel a kayak fisherman should be able to learn how to service reels. Save money and most importantly turnaround time.

I think it would be tough to recommend a reel that you can't easily put back together. Figure 100 bucks for a Battle and then pay minimum 25 bucks once or twice a year? It gets expensive.

That's too bad. I feel a kayak fisherman should be able to learn how to service reels. Save money and most importantly turnaround time.

I think it would be tough to recommend a reel that you can't easily put back together. Figure 100 bucks for a Battle and then pay minimum 25 bucks once or twice a year? It gets expensive.

I hear you bud. I could probably get the hang of it, but I was way short on time this past year with work and it looks like its going to be another for 2012. The turnaround time is not that important; I have enough backup reels. I don't mind that much putting out 40-50 bucks per year to service a couple of my reels if it means that I can be doing something else.

I really wish I could trade the 3 hours in the car getting down and back from the Jersey shore when fishing out front. If there was a way to do that, I'd bite the bullet and service my own reels!