Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
edddieo

wheres all the sand flees?

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

who the in hell needs sand fleas lol, stock up on some silly willy or doc's jigs ,instructions are on the package..I like pink or chartreuse make sure you are using a loop knot.

who the in hell needs sand fleas lol, stock up on some silly willy or doc's jigs ,instructions are on the package..I like pink or chartreuse make sure you are using a loop knot.

I find that any jig, tied back to back with a teaser on a loop knot,, will cause serious arm problems reeling in fish. :)

I make my own jigs and those that are more effective are those which get to the bottom rapidly and stay there.

I use these colors or combinations of : white, yellow, chartreuse and pink

I also have found that an albino(all white) jig is really effective for all species of fish. I have caught Pompano, Black and Red Drum, whiting, bluefish, Spanish and catfish :) on one when other colors/combinations didn't work. C2

If you are not into making your own, you can buy pre made jigs & teasers. The silly willy jig has been the hot bait past several years now. Gotta look at a local tackle shop to find them.

Would a 1/16 oz. jig work as as teaser?How far back from the main jig?Same color as main jig or different?Fished for pompano first time last spring,did all right but would like to do better.If jigs don't work out I could tie up some teasers on single hooks.

Thanks,

Jake

A 1/16 oz jig would probably work, but IMHO; unnecessary. The 'teasers' that I refer to are actually bucktail flies tied on a long hook.

I run out about 12 inches of 30lb test leader. I then tie on a pink or chartreuse teaser fly on a non-slip knot leaving a long tag end Drop down about 6-8 inches and using the tag end, tie on a heavier jig using again; a non-slip loop knot.,. I usually paint it with bright pink or florescent orange. Trim the tag end and you're good to go!

Now for a Goofy type jig:

A Goofy, or Silly Willy, or Crazy Charlie :) jig is nothing but a Swimmer Jig. It is worked right on the bottom with a teaser fly tied back to back on a loop knot. My preferred jig color is yellow or yellow/white and chartreuse or bright pink for the teaser fly. Expect more bites on the teaser.

Remember that the jig is retrieved in short hops off the bottom all the way to your feet . You're trying to emulate a small critter of some kind trying to escape. Expect a hit any time. JHMO

My latest creation is called the C2 Rig. It consists of a digger jig on the bottom with 2 swimming jigs with teasers tied on spreaders. So far; so good. I have caught 6 Pompano in 2 casts during my preliminary testing. C2

Most of the my jigs are from a walleye mold with 1/0 hooks ,seemed to work last spring.Am making quite a few pink and orange ones plus have got heads painted

blue,purple,green,white and brown.Will try tying some teasers on bare hooks as you suggested,been thinking about doing that to use for sauger and walleye around here.I tie up quite a few white with a few strands of red in them,will bring these without the tails cut off for Spanish,have been doing good with them for a few years.

Didn't bring enough of them last fall as the Spanish had sharper teeth than usual.Have a butterbean mold that will pour up to 3/8 oz and will pour up a few of them

for pompano.

Was out at Pickens for two weeks last fall,didn't do too well fishing there,moved over to St. Andrews and loaded up on nice sized Spanish mostly on bubble rig after they ate all my white and red-white jigs.

Thanks,

Jake

I don't waste my jigs on Spanish and Bluefish with sharp teeth. If I do; it will be a short wire bite leader.

For Spanish and Blues, I use ; homemade from a BIC Pen; 'Gotcha' Lures. They work as well as the commercially built ones. A wire leader is a must.

They're catching some good quantities of fish at Fort Pickens. This warm weather/water has kept hem here. C2

Won't throw my tied jigs at blues or ladyfish if I know they are around.Up until last fall using 3' of 50 lb. leader the spanish didn't bite off too bad but they made up for it.Started using 3' of light 7 strand,was still bit off by the Spanish a few times above the wire.

Jake

A 1/16 oz jig would probably work, but IMHO; unnecessary. The 'teasers' that I refer to are actually bucktail flies tied on a long hook.

I run out about 12 inches of 30lb test leader. I then tie on a pink or chartreuse teaser fly on a non-slip knot leaving a long tag end Drop down about 6-8 inches and using the tag end, tie on a heavier jig using again; a non-slip loop knot.,. I usually paint it with bright pink or florescent orange. Trim the tag end and you're good to go!

Now for a Goofy type jig:

A Goofy, or Silly Willy, or Crazy Charlie :) jig is nothing but a Swimmer Jig. It is worked right on the bottom with a teaser fly tied back to back on a loop knot. My preferred jig color is yellow or yellow/white and chartreuse or bright pink for the teaser fly. Expect more bites on the teaser.

Remember that the jig is retrieved in short hops off the bottom all the way to your feet . You're trying to emulate a small critter of some kind trying to escape. Expect a hit any time. JHMO

My latest creation is called the C2 Rig. It consists of a digger jig on the bottom with 2 swimming jigs with teasers tied on spreaders. So far; so good. I have caught 6 Pompano in 2 casts during my preliminary testing. C2

Tied up a bunch of pompano jigs in yellow,white,pink,red and brown some solid and some with mixed colors also tied up a bunch of teasers.Will be headed to PCB Monday for three weeks,hope the pompano,cobia and Spanish are cooperating.

Thanks,

Jake

Well,

I do some fishing at Canaveral. About 3 years ago we had a bad red tide. After that, fleas were gone . Now they are slowly comming back. There was no dredging there.

So there are a few reasons, I guess.

M