Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchman

Penn Torque in the Canal?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Yet another 'which reel' in the canal thread because the search function didn't return anything :( Anyways, anyone have a chance to put a Penn Torque to the test in the Canal? If so what size and how'd it do?

Probably be as good as any other super reel. The only thing I don't like about them is the sharp corners they have and it's a little heavy.

A lot of guys have vs zeebaas and torque as well. Although they are not needed for the canal some guys like to show off but some of us just like to have the best.

What I like is that they are cheaper than the rest of the super reels and are made-in-usa. Plus you can find them on auction for waaay cheaper than retail. I guess not many people wanted to take a chance on a new reel last year....

Probably be as good as any other super reel. The only thing I don't like about them is the sharp corners they have and it's a little heavy.

A lot of guys have vs zeebaas and torque as well. Although they are not needed for the canal some guys like to show off but some of us just like to have the best.

Or some guys wetsuit/swim their reels AND fish the canal, and can't afford to buy setups for both applications :idea:

All of the reports I have heard and/or read give the TQ 2 thumbs up. Should do just fine at the Canal!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by stripedbassjeff View Post

I thought the TRQ5B was around 19oz? The other sizes are too big for a surf reel anyway.

I don't think that the sharp corners are that big a deal, as most of us wear gloves on our casting hand. I also hold the rod on the foregrip when I retrieve/fight a fish.

The only glove I see is the 1 finger braid glove. I just put electrical tape on my fingers. Sharp corners will get beat up on those rocks, won't protect your knuckles or the rest of your body either. Still, I would get one. Price is right and they hold up well in the fishing shows.

personally i think for that money u should be trying to target bigger fish with that reel. more of a tuna winch or a beach fishing reel if u ask me but some would beg to differ. i do love it but i wouldn't use one around all those rocks down the CCC. they're too pretty to scratch up!!:)