Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
1dozenraw

Tommy Tape

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Tommy Tape makes 2 different tapes... Miracle Wrap and Nitro. Which is best for wrapping a cork butt section where a reel will be taped on and for taping on reels? What stores sell it? Any in RI? Thanks.

Sorry,

I'm from MA. ;)

Cabo

I used to be from MA and I know some stuff... just not which Tommy Tape is usually used to wrap a reel on and where to get it that I don't have to pay shipping.

I have some from years ago, the stuff is magic - I have clear, black or red - I got it when they only made one - it was just called "Tommy Tape" :) Not sure which of the two you listed is most similar, but I can send you a few feet if you PM me with your address and which color you'd like.

No, I don't sell it, I got it for personal use and I use it for all kinds of stuff...it's pretty neat stuff.

TimS

I have some from years ago, the stuff is magic - I have clear, black or red - I got it when they only made one - it was just called "Tommy Tape" :) Not sure which of the two you listed is most similar, but I can send you a few feet if you PM me with your address and which color you'd like.

No, I don't sell it, I got it for personal use and I use it for all kinds of stuff...it's pretty neat stuff.

TimS

[img=http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2982504/width/198/height/326]

It's on the "Tommy Tape" website. I'll pm if I want to take you up on that great offer. If I can't find it locally.. I will.

MidSun Specialty Products is listed as the maker... I'll bet they aren't near where I live.

Thanks Tim... I'll get in touch.

I tried the stuff at HD, but not sure it was the right stuff... rather thick and I think it was blue and stretchy. Was not thrilled, but may not have bought the same stuff mentioned.

It's very stretchy, that's one it's best qualities :th: A piece 6" long will stretch and wrap around a rod butt enough times to figure 8 around a small spinning reel - a foot is enough to attach a big spinning reel to a surf rod :)

I used to be from MA and I know some stuff... just not which Tommy Tape is usually used to wrap a reel on and where to get it that I don't have to pay shipping.

Kevin; Try MQuades in Westerly. They used to sell it.

Kevin; Try MQuades in Westerly. They used to sell it.

Yup... that was my first thought. Do you know which tape most guys used? Must be the early, first version, but if the Nitro is better then I'd look for that. If I don't finf it I'll either take Tim up on his offer or just buy a 3 or 6 pack. Thanks Gary.

Yup... that was my first thought. Do you know which tape most guys used? Must be the early, first version, but if the Nitro is better then I'd look for that. If I don't finf it I'll either take Tim up on his offer or just buy a 3 or 6 pack. Thanks Gary.

PM me your address already, I'll send you some - at the very least, you can compare it with the two types that are available and see which is more like the old stuff :)

PM me your address already, I'll send you some - at the very least, you can compare it with the two types that are available and see which is more like the old stuff :)

You're the boss. PM coming. Thanks.

More info. about Tommy Tape; and, try ACE Hadware (advertised retailer).

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1dozenraw View Post

Tommy Tape makes 2 different tapes... Miracle Wrap and Nitro. Which is best for wrapping a cork butt section where a reel will be taped on and for taping on reels? What stores sell it? Any in RI? Thanks.

Miracle Wrap comes in 9 colors: Black, White, Grey, Blue, Yellow, Cherry Red, Orange, Green, and Clear. Nitro Tape sports these same colors with the addition of purple as a 10th color.

I guessing that there is no difference between Miracle Wrap and Nitro.  However, I also supect that the Nitro may be a bit more expensive because the claim is, "Nitro Tape is geared toward our automotive and powersports enthusiasts."  Both of these have the same advertised properties.

Made in USA  (developed for the military)

EDIT:  This is the first that I've heard of this stuff.  I was going to to include other info. in case I'm not the only one not to have know about Tommy Tape.  (What does that make me--a hermit?  bucktooth.gif )

• Stretches 300%

• Withstands a temperature range of -65°F to 500°F

• Insulates 8,000 Volts per Layer

• Waterproof

• Resists UV, Oil, Salt, and Corrosive Chemicals