Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
surfcast

Knot for Large Mono leader

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

One thing I never see in these threads are pictures. All the knot-tying videos you can find online always use some kind of limp rope to make visualizing the knot tying process easier. However, I feel that when I am tying a new knot, especially with heavy leader material, I can never tell if it's tied properly because I have no reference of a properly tied knot using actual heavy leader material.

Can anyone be so kind as to post some pictures of properly tied knots that are common for heavy leader material? I think this would be helpful for everyone as a reference.

Palomar. One other piece of advice...rather than saliva to help you cinch up the knot substitute Chap Stick or equal. It works 100% better than spit, I almost always have it on my (especially at the surf) and it has no ill effects on braid, mono or flouro. Try it once and you'll be hooked on the advantage.

Dutch

Clinch, with the number of wraps depending on the line weight.

up to 30 gets 6 wraps, 40 gets 5, 50-60 gets 4, everything else is 3.

What Kima said-- except use an IMPROVED Clinch Knot!

That extra difficult step is indeed necessary! NEVER have had a failure in my home- tied leaders (all mono. leader material from 20- 60 lb.) using Improved Clinch!

Technique/ skill... and correct & patient draw- up, is as important though as which knot to use! :idea:

Personally I never needed anything but water to moisten my knots! (But agreed spit is my last resort, for several reasons... way better than dry though! :wave: )