Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mofish

Mackerel fishing?

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I've heard of people fishing for Mackerel a couple of years back. I'm thinking of giving it a go but I have questions. Is there a season for them? Can I catch them on shore or do I have to be on a boat somewhere?

I have seen some recent reports (January) of people jigging up mackerel with sabiki rigs in the lower bay. I'm not sure if they're still running, but I sure would like to give it a try. I haven't heard much about this in the past. I wonder if suddenly, they're around in larger numbers in the RI area.

You can catch them from shore - no need for a boat. Must use sabiki rigs - generally you can find them in the same areas that you might find Squid in RI in May or June. Hope that helps.

You can catch them from shore - no need for a boat. Must use sabiki rigs - generally you can find them in the same areas that you might find Squid in RI in May or June. Hope that helps.

thanks I was going to give it a shot Friday and freeze my butt off. I guess I'll wait till may

nor do i...

to paraphrase... you can find macks NOW in the same places you would look for squid in May and June.

Yeah thats what i meant- sorry i dont like to use too much punctuation :D