Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jameso20o

2011 fishing season

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

What did you guys think of 2011's fishing as far as blues and Stripers? I did not do really well. I think I have to blame that on the lack of bait. This year really sucked. Out of all the times I've fished this year, there has only been two or three times when schools of big bunker were around, and not much chasing them those times. In May and June, we had a good run of 2 lb. Blues chasing sandeels and in October-November, we had a good run of tiny schoolies on minnows and peanuts, but not many runs of larger fish. I remember have guys older than me saying when they were young, they could fill up a 5 gallon bucket with bunker they've snagged in 15 minuets. That hasn't really happened with me, yet. I still haven't caught a keeper bass or big bluefish yet. Is anyone experiencing the same this year with the lack of bunker and bigger fish? :mad: Or is it just me?

I had a tough year as well. This was my first year with a boat so I figured there is going to be a large learning curve. The best way I feel to gain experience is either fish more or book a couple charters in your local area. A lot of people are tight with info especially in the salt. I do understand that you work for your spots, but dont be a pric and offer no advice at all. I am in the western sound. If yuo are down my way I would be glad to swap info during the season. Good luck

I hate to say this ,but the cards are stacked against the stripe bass now. I have fished for LIS stripers for 30yrs,both beach and boat and the cycle is going south. The catch of record fish is the same condition as happened before the last crash.

Few schools of the 18-30in fish for the last 2 or 3yrs. Very few schools of bunker etc. Please practice C&R large fish,take a picture if you have to. Many have read the stories of the wipe out of bass in NC,Va and MD over the winter season. This fishing didn't happen 20yrs ago in the same intensity its being done now.

Hope you catch your keeper this season. Good luck. JP

You aren't going to catch em on gulp minnows.

When the alewives run at that spot you know in the spring throw eels after dark when the tide has just turned around and is going OUT.

Hold on!

Johnny Dee OUT!

2011 started out good and then fizzled right out. I caught hundreds of schoolies in my usual winter spots. When the herring were in the rivers I caught plenty of keeper sized bass right up until early June, and that was pretty much it. Summer and Fall were miserable, and I spent most of that time fishing in RI. My trip to Block Isalnd last year was my worst ever. I didn't catch a single bluefish in 2011. While I still catch a good number of big fish each year and I still have some of those schoolie on every cast days, my records show that the catching has been steadily declining since 2006. Spots in western CT where I went for years during the summer to catch blues and bass at night haven't produced a single fish for me in a few years. There is one well known spot in Fairfiled county where I used to fish quite a bit. The last two seasons the only thing I got there were sear robins. Sometimes I wonder if it is just me. Have places that i fished hundreds of times and think I know well changed? Are the tides that always produced now the wrong tides at these spots? Hard to tell. While you do have some folks who insist the fishing is as good or better than ever and the complainers are just not trying hard enough, the last couple of seasons it seems I hear more and more reports of bad fishing, expecially from folks fishing from shore. As far as not trying hard enough, after showing up so many times only to find no bait and no predators it does get a bit discouraging.

I'll state up front that I am biased, but I would advise you to join a club, if you can. Active membership in a local club will dramatically change your learning curve, at least it did so for me.

I caught more fish in 2011 than in 2010, but I put more time in and I fished more intelligently. 2012 has been tough, so far

I would have to say that 2011 was my worst year for catching bass in the last 10..... plenty of bloofish around in the summer (too many, really) and blackfish were good too, but very hot 'n cold depending on the day. bass were just ABSENT in general..... and so was the bait in most places.

We caught plenty of stripers in 2011, but I noticed I had to work harder for them than in years past, rarely limiting out early in the tide.  One thing that really bothered me, is that we were never ONCE chased off the stripers by schools of blues in 2011.  Usually, the hardest part of striper fishing after mid june is finding a spot that isn't polluted with bluefish. Although I don't target them, I saw less bluefish in 2011 than any year I can remember.

NOAA's catch statistics for CT show the same kinds of results as other New England states. There are fewer stripers being caught overall.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

*Your Query Parameters: *

*Query:* MRIP/MRFSS CATCH ESTIMATES COMPARISON

*Year:* 2004 - 2011

*Wave:* CALENDAR YEAR

*Species:* STRIPED BASS

*Geographic Area:* CONNECTICUT

*Fishing Mode:* ALL MODES COMBINED

*Fishing Area:* ALL AREAS COMBINED

*Type of Catch:* TOTAL CATCH (TYPE A + B1 + B2)

*Information:* NUMBERS OF FISH

Return to Query Page

Estimate Status Year Fishing Year Common Name MRFSS Unweighted Total

Catch (A+B1+B2) MRIP Weighted Total

Catch (A+B1+B2) Difference: MRIP - MRFSS % Change from

MRFSS PSE for MRIP

Weighted

Total Catch

(A + B1 +

B2)

FULL YEAR 2004 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS

1,154,548 929,568 -224,980 -19.5% 28.1

FULL YEAR 2005 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS

1,828,506 1,902,918 74,412 4.07% 22.1

FULL YEAR 2006 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS

1,765,762 1,101,915 -663,847 -37.6% 13.9

FULL YEAR 2007 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS

1,941,755 1,103,186 -838,569 -43.2% 21.7

FULL YEAR 2008 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS

2,485,178 3,212,946 727,768 29.3% 23.4

FULL YEAR 2009 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS

1,354,340 1,222,154 -132,185 -9.76% 28.6

FULL YEAR 2010 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS 864,990

763,340 -101,651 -11.8% 19.3

PART YEAR 2011 Calendar Year (Jan 1 - Dec 31) STRIPED BASS 464,178

406,262 -57,916 -12.5% 22.5

_*PSE* <../st1/recreational/queries/glossary.html#pse>, or proportional

standard error, is automatically included in all outputs.

_It expresses the standard error of an estimate as a percentage of the

estimate and is a measure of precision.

A PSE value greater than 50 indicates a very imprecise estimate.

Data Sources by Geographic Area:

MRIP:

ME-LA, PR, HI

If you want to cite a reference for data retrieved from our website,

use: Personal communication from the National Marine Fisheries Service,

Fisheries Statistics Division February 25, 2012 .

*Return to Query Page*

I'll state up front that I am biased, but I would advise you to join a club, if you can. Active membership in a local club will dramatically change your learning curve, at least it did so for me.

I caught more fish in 2011 than in 2010, but I put more time in and I fished more intelligently. 2012 has been tough, so far

What about compared to ~1996-2009? No doubt in my mind there is a major decline. The fall in particular is dreadful compared to 5 years ago. Even the boat bite in far western sound in the spring, which I am new to (~5 years) has dropped off every year. The guy I fish with on his boat isn't becoming a worse fisherman/captain, but the last two years have been a relative struggle on the reefs compared to just a few years ago.