Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
american spirit

Canal Minus Tides

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Are these tides the ones with the astericks on the official canal tide chart. I was also wondering if these are the "plugging tides" that people always talk about. I was under the assumption that the minus tides coincide with the new and full moons when the water column is unusually low or high for that matter. 

Yes, the * or ** means it is an extreme minus tide, ** being more extreme than *.

And yes, they coincide with a new or full moon (usually for 2-3 days) for a day or two after the new or full moon. Are also know as "breaking tides", at least the AM ones.

thanks. i know a lot of guys look for the ideal tides to throw plugs.  i would assume they're looking for a less intense current from the canal. are the minus tides also referred to "plugging tides"?

I suppose they are......however.......minus tides do anything but to provide for less current.....in fact, some of the fastest currents of the month (at least tide driven currents, wind is another factor that can't be predicted like tides can). Because so much water has to move in and out of the bays in the same amount of time to produce the extreme highs and lows, the currents in turn are much faster/stronger.

Slack tide is what your looking for, the issue with the Ditch is theres two different tides working. Best to stay away from new or full moon periods, thats when the water races through the canal making it difficult to get down where you need to be and troublesome to land what you hook..

good enough. i've fished the canal twice in my life. trying to learn the best times to toss pencils in the pre-dawn/ first light hours. 

Just hope it's not like last year, where you could bean a striper on the head with a Pencil and not catch a sniff, lol.

good enough. i've fished the canal twice in my life. trying to learn the best times to toss pencils in the pre-dawn/ first light hours. 

In the spring/summer/early fall, that would indeed be the * or ** tides, as the low slack in that moon phase corresponds pretty much to sunrise (+/- an hour or so), and when the current is slowest. For the high slack at sunrise, you need to be around the quarter moons.

Be careful here, cause in the canal, the time of high and low tide DOES NOT equal times of slack.

For example, look at June 5th and 6th.......** tides those days with slack low at ~sunrise......full moon is the 4th.

Also see June 11th and 12th.....slack high at ~sunrise, with the quarter moon on the 11th.

Sunrise at that time of year is about 5 AM, first faint light in the sky about 3:10 AM

The minus or extra minus tides don't mean that the water is flowing slower. In fact it's the opposite, the water is generally moving faster. The low tide water level drops lower and the high tide rises higher. Plugger's like the tides because more water is coming thru the canal a whole lot faster, and more water moves more bait, and they have a harder time avoiding the predators.

If you have the official Corps of Engineer's canal tide chart, you will be most interested in the columns on the left side of the page showing AM & PM slack water times. Actual high tide and low tide time is not so important. Not always, but fish usually show on top after the tide turns, and plugger's are usually waiting for them then. Lots of guys target the last hour of a tide, the slack, then the first hour of the next tide. Lots of variations, and different spots fished differently. Sometimes strong winds can delay or speed up the length of the slack time. You'll usually have plenty of company on minus tides.

I also meant to add to my post that you shouldn't think that fast water make it difficult for the predators to chase your plugs. Bass were built for currents, and if the bluefish are coming thru and feeding, you couldn't reel fast enough to take your plug away from them.

Slack tide is what your looking for, the issue with the Ditch is theres two different tides working. Best to stay away from new or full moon periods, thats when the water races through the canal making it difficult to get down where you need to be and troublesome to land what you hook..

^^What he said^^