Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mitchman

Ideas for transporting a 14ft kayak in a 5ft pickup bed?

19 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a new Tacoma with the short bed (5ft) and I also have a 14ft SINK that I fish all over the cape with. Obviously the math doesn't quite work out for simply loading the kayak into the back of the bed, but I really don't like the idea of getting rook racks or raised racks that go above the roof. With the gate down I should get at least another 1-2ft of bed space. Any ideas on how I can transport the kayak in the bed? Maybe I could make a frame the fits in the bed to hold the kayak? Or maybe I could just strap it in tight?

Don't know if you have a quad or extended. All you need is min. distance 30" between racks. You can lay your kayak on the side with J style racks or lay it flat right side up, rigged and ready to go.

[img=

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2968781/width/600/height/448]

I have the double cab (full size cab) with short bed and I'd rather not put the kayak on the roof if I don't have too.

With the bed extender, the kayak would still be hanging over the top of it and out of the bed.....would that be secure? I'd worry about warping the kayak like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhahn427 View Post

+1

Quote:

Originally Posted by stupidjet View Post

bed extender

+2 if you have a tow hitch get a hitch extender....I assume this is what they are talking about.  IMOP its the easist and cheapest way.  Slide it in the bed strap it down and your gone.  Easy

Mitchman, Thats what I use to transport my hobie outback from Pa to the Jersey shore and the OBX. 2 straps tying it down angled ever so slightly so it does not lay on the tailgate with foam on the hitch extender bar to cushion the yak. Never had a problem.

Thanks for all the info guys, its going to be the hitch extender for me!

Just remember that when you use the bed extender you can't put anything in the bed or it will fall out.