Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArcheryRob

Soft Plastics

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Probably the most popular soft plastics for stripers in the C-Bay are BAs (Bass Assassins) and BKDs (Bass Kandy Delights - Google it).

BAs - 4" paddletails, 5" & 7" straight tails. BKDs, 6" & 9" lengths

Jigheads for both range from 1/2oz to 1oz, sometimes heavier if need be.

Goto colors for both are chartreuse/silver glitter, opening nite, white or pearl. Other colors work well too but these are the most popular ones for casting.

C-Bay fishermen make soft plastics do it all from the shallows to down deep, breakers or blind casting, sod banks and piers. When blues are a problem then many begrudgingly switch to jigging heavy metal.

I pretty much follow what HJS has said, but I'll add some ribbontail worms or the longer size ribbontail grubs into the mix as well. I've caught enough Stripers on them while bass fishing to realize they make a fine eel imitation. The brand doesn't even matter to me, I like those that have fatter bodies & wide tails, and will use them from 6" to 12" long when I can find them. The 10" Strike King Anaconda is fine example, but I only buy them if I can find them cheap. Real good lure, but too expensive to pay full retail on them IMO. I like cheap because they do get torn up, and the fish don't care!

I'll usually fish them on a jig head, or sometimes one of the weighted EWG swimbait hooks. Just gives them a slightly different action than the jig. The most productive colors I've found are black, green pumpkin, or some of the laminated color combo's, like black over pearl, all of which look like a real eel. The best thing about the worms is that compared to many other plastics used in the bay, they're relatively cheap! :D