Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
inthered

Heads Up—literally

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I assume most of us know about the recent reports of much more energy being emitted from the sun.  Use your head—more specifically your eyes—and you can detect this increase for yourself.

One morning, a couple of days ago, I thought that the sun was unusually bright but thought that it was just my eyes.  They weren’t quite open yet, when I was putting the coffee pot together.  However, a day or two later, my wife made a comment to me about this, while not having any knowledge of my earlier “observation.”  Guess what.  It is brighter and, not only just after sunrise.

For those skeptical of my analysis, let me just say “Wheatstone Bridge.”  Ok, not just Wheatstone Bridge.  Without explaining what this is, I’ll explain that one application I’m familiar with is as an analytical tool in chemistry.  In using it, making adjustments result small changes in the brightness of light that are detected by eye—because the eye is a very sensitive detector.

Checkout the sun and see if it looks brighter to you.  If you use one eye or two:  either way, don’t chance it for too long.  wink.gif

i have noticed the same thing concerning the sun.

while the sun has always been bright lately there are times when it seems like a friggen laser beam!

some mornings the sunblindness when driving is killer.

it's like comparing old car headlights to the new ones that seem almost blue.

My first notice of this was that it was too bright for me to see the sun.  It was obscured by the brightness.  Where I would have expected to see the sun was a bright area about twice, probably greater, the diameter than that of what the sun would have been.  Seeing an edge of the sun may have been possible then, but I didn't try.

i have noticed the same thing concerning the sun.

while the sun has always been bright lately there are times when it seems like a friggen laser beam!

some mornings the sunblindness when driving is killer.

it's like comparing old car headlights to the new ones that seem almost blue.

Kinda like comparing regular sylvania headlamps to the new sylvania Ultra lamps for cars- Spoken like a true former employee of pepboys:p

With the Winter Sun having a lower angle it appears brighter at certain times of the day. The Earth is closer to the Sun in January, than it is at any other time of year. There was some sort of solar eruption back on 1/24.

Wrt the Wheatstone Bridge, the Wheatstone bridge is an electrical circuit used to measure an unknown resistance very accurately. Variations of the Wheatstone Bridge can be used to measure changes in inductance, capacitance, impedance etc. This device is capable of very precise measurements. I imagine that you could hook one of these up to a light gathering device and track the difference in measurements over time, even very subtle changes. The Wheatstone Bridge is not some type of astronomy device used to measure the Sun's energy.

The Earth is closer to the Sun in January, than it is at any other time of year.

What he said...............Earth was at perihelion on January 4th.

Kinda like comparing regular sylvania headlamps to the new sylvania Ultra lamps for cars- Spoken like a true former employee of pepboys:p

Who were just sold and are going to be a private company. Do you have any stock? Went up 23% yesterday on the news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthered View Post

I assume most of us know about the recent reports of much more energy being emitted from the sun.  Use your head—more specifically your eyes—and you can detect this increase for yourself.

One morning, a couple of days ago, I thought that the sun was unusually bright but thought that it was just my eyes.  They weren’t quite open yet, when I was putting the coffee pot together.  However, a day or two later, my wife made a comment to me about this, while not having any knowledge of my earlier “observation.”  Guess what.  It is brighter and, not only just after sunrise.

For those skeptical of my analysis, let me just say “Wheatstone Bridge.”  Ok, not just Wheatstone Bridge.  Without explaining what this is, I’ll explain that one application I’m familiar with is as an analytical tool in chemistry.  In using it, making adjustments result small changes in the brightness of light that are detected by eye—because the eye is a very sensitive detector.

Checkout the sun and see if it looks brighter to you.  If you use one eye or two:  either way, don’t chance it for too long.  wink.gif

its-a-trap.jpg