Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChocoLab

St. Croix Avid - stripper guide repair

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

All, have a St. Croix that needs the stripper guide replaced. I'll have the guide in hand, so who is around that can do a simple repair like this and have it look professional?

I know about CMS, but they are a bit far. Anyone know in the greater Worcester area? I'm down on the cape fairly often so I could perhaps bring it to someone down there, like Red Top maybe.  Would M&D's do a single guide repair? Perhaps there is a local rod builder who can help? Any suggestions would be appreciated... Thanks

Dave, this is really a 'nothing to it' do it yourself job.

If you want it to look factory new, sending it back to the factory is the best option. Even a really good pro will likely not be able to match the original.

I replaced a guide on my Mojo last summer, start to finish, 25 minutes.

Just my $.0.02

Yeah, I've heard it's not that hard, but I don't even know where to start.. I've done tips before, but never a main guide. I'll cost me at least $30 to send it back to St. Croix, vs. <$10 for the guide + whatever it'll cost for someone to do for me... Maybe I'll go search around the rod building forum to get a sense of the degree of difficulty...