Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mofish

Casting distance with this set-up. Good or bad?

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

I currently have a Mojo 10` rod and I've been shopping around for a new reel. I came across the Daiwa Emblem Shot. I was wondering if the spool design along with the mojo low rider guides will give it a boost in distance?

Heres a picture of the reel. I think this reel just came out recently

There's really no way to tell in advance how a particular reel / line / guide layout combination will cast. Unfortunately, lowrider-style* guides really should be spaced according to the specific line and reel being used. Since St. Croix just sort of slaps them on there with a generic layout its kind of luck-of-the-draw whether they will perform well with your particular setup. Try it and see - anything else is just guesswork.

I currently have a Mojo 10` rod and I've been shopping around for a new reel. I came across the Daiwa Emblem Shot. I was wondering if the spool design along with the mojo low rider guides will give it a boost in distance?

Heres a picture of the reel. I think this reel just came out recently

Id be interested in this too. i have a Mojo 10'6" and currently use a Spheros and Saragosa 8000 with 30lb braid on it. I'd expect the Daiwa long cast spool to be a better caster and was thinking about buying one. Just wondering how much better it would be and if the difference is significant.

That depens on how far you want go , or if your useing plugs or bait, your 10ft. will work fine , but you may not get the distance you want. This might help , this is my set-up for distance. A Lami -SS-11ft-3in. 3 to 6 oz. with a ZX27- ZeeBaas spooled with 65# spiderwire , and a breakaway canon release triger. I use that for pluging and get about 500ft on a 3oz. plug.--- For chunking i use 13ft.-3in. custom rods -rated up to 10oz. with a shimano 12000 bait runner spooled with 65# line . They get me over 600ft. with 8 & bait. I hope this helps on distance casting. Good Luck----

while the mojo is a nice rod it leaves a lot to be desired in the guide set-up.

that reel should be fine for distance casting.

A Lami -SS-11ft-3in. 3 to 6 oz. with a ZX27- ZeeBaas spooled with 65# spiderwire , and a breakaway canon release triger. I use that for pluging and get about 500ft on a 3oz. plug.--- For chunking i use 13ft.-3in. custom rods -rated up to 10oz. with a shimano 12000 bait runner spooled with 65# line . They get me over 600ft. with 8 & bait

wow,that's very impressive distance with those outfits.

i'm fairly proficient but i can't touch those numbers

are they measured on a field or just guesstimates over water?

Hi Fish bucket: All my cast are mearsured out on the beach with a range fineder. Last weekend we went out on a nice day and did 660ft. with a 6oz. sinker . If i scale down my braid to 40# test on my 13's i should get to 700. I'v been a distance caster for long time now and i love it, always trying to do more.---- Pete-----:)

do you ever come down south jersey way?

i would love to watch you cast and pick up some pointers!

if i could get distance like that i could win a lot of tournaments.:D

That depens on how far you want go , or if your useing plugs or bait, your 10ft. will work fine , but you may not get the distance you want. This might help , this is my set-up for distance. A Lami -SS-11ft-3in. 3 to 6 oz. with a ZX27- ZeeBaas spooled with 65# spiderwire , and a breakaway canon release triger. I use that for pluging and get about 500ft on a 3oz. plug.--- For chunking i use 13ft.-3in. custom rods -rated up to 10oz. with a shimano 12000 bait runner spooled with 65# line . They get me over 600ft. with 8 & bait. I hope this helps on distance casting. Good Luck----

Sorry 1Z......., label me the eternal skeptic, but over 200 yds with 8 and bait and 65lb braid.........don't think Tommy Farmer manages 8 plus bait over 200 yds with any gear. Perhaps Tommy could chime in here.........

I 'd love to get to S. Jersey to fish and try a tournament. I hear you guys have big Bass down there, Up here on L.I. we don't have tournments,

Sorry 1Z......., label me the eternal skeptic, but over 200 yds with 8 and bait and 65lb braid.........don't think Tommy Farmer manages 8 plus bait over 200 yds with any gear. Perhaps Tommy could chime in here.........

Not realistic.

Tommy has posted it many times before , the so called legendary casters of Hatteras who claimed 200 yards with 8nbait never existed. At their Cast a Mucks down south a few guys could break 300' , some 350' and very rarely 400' .

Just so happens that with all the interest in how far different rods cast ie CTS verses century verses legends Sportcast USA has decided to host another Fishermans Casting tournament again this June in NJ . This is a special event where you get to cast your fishing tackle and usually a plug event , metal event , small bait and weight and a 8 and large bait . And braid is allowed.

Previous winning distances have been Plugs over 500' , Small bait and weight over 600' and the large bait and weight at 450'

Tommy has posted it many times before , the so called legendary casters of Hatteras who claimed 200 yards with 8nbait never existed. At their Cast a Mucks down south a few guys could break 300' , some 350' and very rarely 400' .

Just so happens that with all the interest in how far different rods cast ie CTS verses century verses legends Sportcast USA has decided to host another Fishermans Casting tournament again this June in NJ . This is a special event where you get to cast your fishing tackle and usually a plug event , metal event , small bait and weight and a 8 and large bait . And braid is allowed.

Previous winning distances have been Plugs over 500' , Small bait and weight over 600' and the large bait and weight at 450'

Hitting the three to four hundred foot mark with eight and bait is very, very impressive to say the least. I tip my hat to anyone who has the technique and skill level to throw a big non aerodynamic chunk in the range of 400 feet. I believe you need immense power on top of great technique to achieve that kind of distance with a chunk . It's a completely different ballgame then being able to achieve the same with just a 4 or 6oz bank attached, guys with solid form and decent equipment can easily attain those distances with just a bank sinker , and the legit distance guys can cast the same in excess of 700 feet without much trouble.

Of course i'm speaking in general terms and there are many variables involved including line diameter and type, rod, reel, etc...

Regarding the rod competition, and using it to determine what rod would be the best choice for a given individual based on distance figures alone is ill advised to say the least, for the very reasons stated above, it's just way to individualized. I think most realize this (at least i hope) as there are many aspects that are equally important that should not be overlooked . That being said i still think it will be a fun event :):)

Calling Bravo Sierra on those claims also . . .

Conn, another Fisherman's Casting event would be fun.

I have the rules and publicity stuff that I put together saved from the last ones, you are welcome to it.

Send me an email at otgman(at)comcast.net if you want them. The email I have for you is from Pathmark so I know it isn't good anymore.

Looking forward to the event!