Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
calibeachbum

Two hand must read update

Rate this topic

2 posts in this topic

My first post on SOL was a question about building a two hand rod out of a 12' med fast spinning rod blank rated 12-20# 1/2-3/4 oz. I bought for $20 from the mud hole clearance section......well its done $90 in hardware and $15 to have a local guy throw it on a rod dryer (I don't own one yet!) total cost $135.00 and worth every stinkin penny!!!!!!! (I built this rod in my lap with a thread bobin.) took it to the park first cast 100' no problem using 400gr home built line 40' head and still need to add another 50 to 100gr to it. I built the handle section and butt using surf grip and a rubber butt cap instead of the traditional cork, feels great and looks unique while keeping the cost down only disadvantage is it is only two piece. I haven't seen a Beulah or tfo pandion or any other two hander so I have no idea how it compares but this rod does the job I used common sense a med fast action rod is a medium fast rod, fly or not! sometimes we get hypnotized by a brand and flashy web sites and don't realize what we are capable of I'm glad I'm broke and that pushed me to this build. Necessity is the mother of invention or what do you do when you have wine taste on a beer budget.....make moonshine! BTY 1oz = aprox 430gr use this when choseing a rod blank. Thank you all for your imput if you want pix PM me ill text them to you.