Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tomolalla

Messed up Penn 550 ss

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I have taken a trip to Mexico and fallen in love with the whole scene down there..especially the fishing. I have an old but hardly used Penn 550 ss that I bought about 30 years ago and I think will do pretty well in Mexico when I go down there again. It’s got a few problems. I’m not sure what happened, but after not using it for many years I casted out and when I tried to retrieve the reel just seemed to bind up, the handle just got increasingly tough to turn until it totally locked up. I had to pull my line in by hand. Since then, I tried to unscrew the bearing cover (circular piece) by the handle and it was stuck, so I screwed it up to. Seems like it is mis threaded...but not sure. I'm considering cutting the bearing cover off with a dremmel and buying new parts.  Anybody have a similar experience with the binding or having to cut off the bearing cover? 

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but from the sound of what you are saying, There is something already wrong with the reel aside from what you messed up. By the time you fix that and buy parts. you will be close to the cost of a new reel.

That has come across my mind, although the reel has only been used a few times and has zero corrosion and I like how the old ones were built. I also forgot to mention that after I loosened the handle the reel seems to operate fine.  Although through the loosening process, I screwed up the bearing cover. I can buy a new side plate and bearing cover for about $15...so it's time to operate and find out what caused the freeze-up in the first place.