Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
north-shore fisha

Oil-based paint

Rate this topic

52 posts in this topic

what da fudge is this world coming to?  Went to my Sherwin Williams today to replenish my supply of oil trim paint.  Dude tells me you can't buy oil paint in MA or any other state around here due to new regulations.  mad.gif  Latex paint SUCKS on trim.  Doesn't have the same look.

In-laws are flying here in the summer from Indiana, which has not banned oil paint yet.  Think they can check a gallon in with their luggage?  Or do you think in-laws could ship it via UPS or FedEx?

My kingdom for a gallon of oil paint!

Oil Paint, :huh: who the hell uses that crap anymore, it will yellow over time, stinks, and takes 10 hours for it to dry, latex is where it is at, 2 coats in one day, ask any painter around they will take latex over oil any day,

Quote:

Originally Posted by gray gables View Post

Oil Paint, headscratch.gif who the hell uses that crap anymore, it will yellow over time, stinks, and takes 10 hours for it to dry, latex is where it is at, 2 coats in one day, ask any painter around they will take latex over oil any day,

You're looking at a former painter.  Painted a zillion of interior rooms and the exteriors of dozens and dozens of homes.  I have seen the difference.  Latex is easy to work with and that's about the only thing it has over the oil.  For looks, oil is the way to go. If you know what you're doing, you don't need 2 coats with oil paint.  The smell is an acquired taste.

If you compare them side-by-side when they are freshly painted, you'd see a major difference between the latex and oil.

You're looking at a former painter.  Painted a zillion of interior rooms and the exteriors of dozens and dozens of homes.  I have seen the difference.  Latex is easy to work with and that's about the only thing it has over the oil.  For looks, oil is the way to go. If you know what you're doing, you don't need 2 coats with oil paint.  The smell is an acquired taste.

If you compare them side-by-side when they are freshly painted, you'd see a major difference between the latex and oil.

i have, don't like, a nice high gloss latex is just as good as oil, after building houses for the last 20 years, not once have we ever done oil, and I've done some big ones, did one that was 9000 sqr ft and about 2 million, now as for finish on hardwood floors, hands down oil, the latex finish sucks balls,

i like oil based for houses and trim- old school i guess. house needed painting, very good 15 yr old oil on it. i'd be damned if i was going to prime the whole thing to use latex- found some solid color stain chabots oil based and i was a happy camper.

I just picked up a gallon of oil based Impervo from Ben Moore here in RI. They make a latex version that looks good, better than any other latex then I have seen.But, I still like the oil.

Oil for trim.  Flows better off the brush. Like an artist. Yes it will yellow.  Latex for walls. Pacific waterborne urethane for floors. Harder finish than oil. Especially with V.O.C. cut backs. Oil base products tough to get now . State by state.  V.O.C. compliance.

I agree, I've painted a lot of houses boys, and oil trim is by far the best.

Not only is it smoother, but it's harder too.

Looks better, and lasts longer.

I was shocked, too, when I wanted to buy a gallon last year. :(

I gave up, I use the latex.

I replaced a few int. doors a couple of weeks ago. When I went to S.W. in Conn, and told them I wanted primer for the doors they gave some oil based paint. I mentioned I might replace some trim on some ext. windows when it warmed up and the guy went and got a different oil based primer. Said it could be used inside/outside but had a much stronger oil smell then the first one. I painted the doors but moved them outside after they dried as the smell was really overpowering. I didn't notice any other difference.