Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChocoLab

Avet vs. Saltist

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Thinking about the purchase of either an avet mxj or a saltist 35 in either star or lever drag, reel will not be casted but used for some bass jigging and light trolling. Price points are relatively similar, would appreciate any input on them, as I've never actually held one in my hands... I realize this is a pretty open ended question, but would particularly appreciate WHY you favor a particular reel over the other (not just "Avets are great").  Their specs are remarkably similar. Thanks, DAVE

Post this in the bottom fishing forum. You should get the answers you're looking for down there. Just don't mention dog fish. :D

why in the bottom fishing forum? He mentioned jigging and trolling. From my experience with both reels the Saltist seems smoother to me.

I own 8 Avets that I use primarily for live bait fishing and have caught many large bass with very little in the way of problems. I find the Avets to be very simple almost to the point of being crude, I can put all of mine on a table, take them apart and clean & lube them in less then 2 hours, Avet has excellent customer service, call them and in all likelyhood they will send you what you need for free in 2 days. A very good friend also fishes Avets but purchased a Saltist lever drag that he found for a great price online, it was very smooth out of the box but by the end of it's 1st season it was back in it's box and sent back to Diawa with stripped gears. Now if you asked for an Avet to Accurate comparison I would go in a different direction.

why in the bottom fishing forum? He mentioned jigging and trolling. From my experience with both reels the Saltist seems smoother to me.

I must have read right over that. Seems to be a bad habit. :dismay: