Garbage Disposal?

Rate this topic

gray gables

same here, I put one in the house I grew up in 6 years back, 80 year old plumbing, leaching pit , house has never seen a plumber, pit has never been service.. Scraps still go into the garbage,the disposal is there for easy clean up and I no longer get the occasional call to fix a clogged trap.

It really all depends on how it's used.

I won't say the disposers saved my marriage, but it sure didn't hurt. :D

See you on the big one.

Well, we are on a septic system.  I never ever put garbage into it, aside from what is rinsed from the pots and pans.  I do have a sort of composting place, but never put orange, banana, or tropical fruit peels into it.    I do know that one should use single ply toilet paper, etc.  Ha!  You end up using 3 times as much paper.  Also do not use 3 ply, just nice 2 ply. 

It's hard to make sure that you you do use cold water when using the disposal.  I did have it pumped out a couple of years ago, but that should do it for another 8 years.  Just my humble experience...wink.gif

Perhaps I should have mentioned that the gray water from the laundry goes to another, I think cesspool, which lightens the load on the septic system.

Also, I tried a product this week called "Disposer Care" from  < www.summitbrands.com  >, although I got it at WallyWorld.  Comes in little packets which seems to foam away grease, and says safe for septic systems.  The foam did come up in the adjacent sink, as it said it might.  I could see the grease particles foaming up, but was generally pleased with the results.

Still, I could do without a disposal, but it came with the house.  I stand by my suggestions of not batching vegetation down it if you have on-site sewage/septic.  wink.gif  Oh, the Disposer Care says "made in the USA".