Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smoothrover

The Future of Fish - Time Magazine

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Recently I happen to read an interesting column "Future of Fish" in Time Magazine July 18,2011 edition. What was interesting is that research and historical data shows that at the current rate human population is growing versus the fish population there wouldn't be much fish left to consume. And the solution to this would be aquaculture. What do you guys think? My take on this would be aquaculture is needed to certain extend and given the current economical situation it would create jobs. But the primary approach would be conversion mother nature and take only what is needed. We have few local aquaculture in our backyard for example "Local Ocean - NY" and "Better Fish -MA".

smoothrover, “the devil is in the details” may be only an idiom and not yet cliché, but either way, it holds true in this case, in the minds of many conservationists.  While not everyone agrees about issues associated with aquaculture, nevertheless, small things in plans and schemes that are often overlooked can cause serious problems later on.  In the asking for opinions of this here, you will hear the good and the bad from both views, of what aquaculture can do.

Some certainly believe, as you have credited Time as suggesting, that a solution for the demand for fish to meet an ever increasing demand is to be found in aquiculture.  Others caution that the ever increasing demand for human consumption cannot be met through aquaculture and that the manufacturing (overfishing the supply stock) of “aquafeed” has the potential to adversely interfere with the health of the oceans.  Further, these people would also caution that this venture of “farming” in the oceans presently produces other negative consequences which deserve prudent consideration.

I suggest that you not ask those of us with opinions, but look into it for yourself.  I know your comment seems to be one for the Main Forum, but I suspect it may soon be moved to The Town Traven or, straight away, to Political Graffiti.   bucktooth.gif

Hello new member HappyWave.gif  I see now this is as of 1/2012.  I seriously hope that I didn't give you the wrong impression of either your post or of the good people here.

You didn't actually post your request of other peoples thoughts in the wrong forum and you don't have to worry about it being moved.  If winds up being moved it is not because you did anything wrong.  It will be because we commandeered your comment to turn it into a passionate "debate"--to the deathwink.gif

Some enjoy physical activity but most of us just fish.  When we see a post that is an opportunity for, full contact, no holds barred, discussion, we jump on it (up and down on it).  This can get ugly, but the ref's will step in before a finger gets shoved into someones eye or, when there is a threat being made about shoving of something else, some place else.  icon25.gif 

The Main Forum  is safe, interesting and informative.  Some of us nice guys can become quite nasty in a tavern after a few too many and, well, this isn't the first time you've heard this:  "Never talk politics or religion."   argue.gif

Welcome!   smile.gif