"Loaded" Nachos

Rate this topic

So, a week to go until the Superbowl......it is pretty much a tradition that after dinner when Donna and I are watching the Superbowl, we have a snack of loaded nachos.

First off, gotta use these, as they are by far the best (and surprisingly also the cheapest):

[img=

From there, homemade salsa, homemade chili (yes, with tomatoes and beans), some guacamole......and of course melted cheese. In the past I would use Velveeta (which is a cheat), but I have found an even better (and cheaper) "cheat".........I buy a box of this:

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2954077/width/200/height/200]

.....and then save the pasta for another use, and use the pouch of Velveeta sauce on the nachos.....;).....add some diced pickled jalapenos to the cheese and toss it in the nuker for a few seconds, and you are good to go to pour over the chips.

What's YOUR nachos?.....................................

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

I'm trying this cheese sauce next time I make nachos, velveeta mac and cheese will never make it in the door.

8 ounces extra sharp cheddar cheese (or a mix of cheddar and pepper Jack), grated on large holes of a box grater

1 tablespoon corn starch

1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk

2 teaspoons Franks Red Hot or other hot sauce

Add cheese and cornstarch to large bowl. Toss to combine. Transfer to medium saucepan. Add 1 cup evaporated milk and hot sauce. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly with whisk until melted, bubbly, and thickened (about 5 minutes). Mixture will look thin and grainy at first but will thicken and come together after heating. Thin to desired consistency with additional evaporated milk.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

I like to brown a lb of ground beef, add some taco-type seasoning, and then melt in a full box of velveeta. You can saute some onions and peppers (hot or mild) with the beef to jazz it up. It's more of a dip than a nacho topping, and you need to keep it warm or it will thicken up pretty hard. Of course, it thickens up pretty hard in your arteries either way. :shock:

I usually prefer the dips over nachos, because nachos have too many issues. Some chips get too soggy, some chips don't get enough cheese, etc.

I'm trying this cheese sauce next time I make nachos, velveeta mac and cheese will never make it in the door.

:laugh: While I can appreciate that sentiment, after cooking all day (not even sure what I am making yet, but am sure i will have been cooking all afternoon and just want to sit down and watch the Giants lose ;)), this thing has to be quick and easy (like while there are commercials on, thus the nuker) without a lot of dishes to clean up afterward. I won;t have the time or patience to be sure something more involved for the cheese sauce won't "break"........

Some chips get too soggy, some chips don't get enough cheese, etc.

Ah, but that is the glory of it.....a few soggy chips, no problem and they can be good that way.....the chips without the cheese? That is what the chili, guac, and salsa is for.........after all, variety is the spice of life......;)

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

SOL Member #174

One pot and 5 minutes. Make this and use Hormel Chili. ;-) I guess I'll have to make it myself to see but I don't think this can break like the bechamel type cheese sauces.

I didn't even get to the chips which we fry from corn tortillas.

"I have ... put a lump of ice into an equal quantity of water ...  if a little sea salt be added to the water we shall produce a fluid sensibly colder than the ice was in the beginning, which has appeared a curious and puzzling thing to those unacquainted with the general fact."- Joseph Black

So, a week to go until the Superbowl......it is pretty much a tradition that after dinner when Donna and I are watching the Superbowl, we have a snack of loaded nachos.

First off, gotta use these, as they are by far the best (and surprisingly also the cheapest):

[img=

From there, homemade salsa, homemade chili (yes, with tomatoes and beans), some guacamole......and of course melted cheese. In the past I would use Velveeta (which is a cheat), but I have found an even better (and cheaper) "cheat".........I buy a box of this:

http://www.stripersonline.com/image/id/2954077/width/200/height/200]

.....and then save the pasta for another use, and use the pouch of Velveeta sauce on the nachos.....;).....add some diced pickled jalapenos to the cheese and toss it in the nuker for a few seconds, and you are good to go to pour over the chips.

What's YOUR nachos?.....................................

steve, those are what I use, I like em, ps, can you make me some of your homemade salsa, man that was good,

I like to brown a lb of ground beef, add some taco-type seasoning, and then melt in a full box of velveeta. You can saute some onions and peppers (hot or mild) with the beef to jazz it up. It's more of a dip than a nacho topping, and you need to keep it warm or it will thicken up pretty hard. Of course, it thickens up pretty hard in your arteries either way. :shock:

I usually prefer the dips over nachos, because nachos have too many issues. Some chips get too soggy, some chips don't get enough cheese, etc.

^^^^yup, same here,

I too make my own chili ( tomato and bean as well). I layer chips - usually Tostitos Scoops - and spread a little chilli, chopped yellow onion, diced jalepenos, and a lot of shredded sharp chedder and/or jack. Probably 4 or 5 layers with the top layer getting an extra handful of cheese. Bake in 300 degree oven for a few minutes until cheese is melted. Then poor a ton of homemade salsa and a few large dollops of sour cream on top. Guac on the side as my wife is allergic to Avocados. The chips on the sides have the chili, onion and cheese on them and can be pulled off and dipped in the salsa and sourcream on top. And then you get to my favortie part - the middle with everything combined...maybe some soggy chips but I like em.

Steve, where do you find Santita's these days? I never see them anymore.

Last time I looked, both Stop and Shop and Shaw's had them.......don't get me :eek: cause for store bought, mainstream brand (made by Frito Lays) chips, they are far the best, so now I am gonna have to look tomorrow.

and a few large dollops of sour cream on top.

Yep, I forgot the sour cream in my original post.......and you health food Nazis.....I don't want to hear it, as it is something we do ONCE a year..................;)

SOL Member #174

Rotelle and velveeta. Nuke it.

Have done that as well......:th:.......Only it is not "Rotelle"

;)

SOL Member #174