Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Duckwump

What Are the Consequences of Line Slap?

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I want to build a relatively light nine foot two piece rod for fishing the surf on Plum Island as I walk along the beach. It will be based on a Mudhole Surf Rocket LGSB1082 ML.

I really prefer using conventional reels (I find conventional setups much lighter and better balanced) and expect to use the setup most of the time with a Penn Squall 12 lined with Suffix 30lb braid (or if I need a levelwind, I will use an Abu 6500 CS or a Daiwa Millionaire). However, I know that for working certain lures such as pencil poppers, spinning reels work better. I would like to design this rod so I can switch over in a pinch to using a spinning reel -- something smaller along the lines of a Penn Battle 4000 also using braid. To keep the weight down, I don't want too large a gathering guide. I was planning to use Fuji Alconite BMNAGs starting with a 25 stripper (or a 20 if I can get away with it), reversed to so as to release any casting loops and tapering down to 10s or 8s. I would be interested in trying the new K guides (BKWAG) if folks think they would work better with what I have in mind.

I know there are folks out there who don't like dual purpose set ups but I have built two other longer rods that way (11 foot estuary and a 12 foot universal) with good results. The 12 foot universal has lowriders but I don't think they are a good choice for a 9 foot rod.

I am going to do some test casting but if everything seems good except for some minor slap with no other problems, is this a set up I can go with? Or will this line slap cause problems down the road? This is not being built for a customer just for myself and so I am not worried about the aesthetics of line slap but if there are real potential consequences from it, I will build the rod differently. I am not planning powercast this rod, I will use to cast plugs and other lures 20-30 yards into the surf while while walking down the beach. If I think I will need greater distance, I will bring a larger rod.

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

BTW - in case folks had not noticed, the cost of most surf rocket blanks has doubled.

- Tom

I don't think line slap is a significant problem for conventionals. It is caused by coils of line coming off a spinning reel and hitting the rod, usually between the reel and the collector guide.

sounds like you have thought about the right stuff, it should work out fine assuming a smaller spinning reel

One note, the KW 20 is pretty low to the blank for a stripper on a 9' dual rung rod where it will be located fairly close to the reel (in comparison to the 11+ footers where you can push it pretty far out if necessary), I'd definitely get a 25 as well to test them out if using k's. The 30 is absurdly high compared to the smaller ring sizes, and even the 30L would be a big heavy guide for what you are trying to do. And if you aren't casting a knot through the guides, go small on the runners!

i line the mn's better for running guides. you should be able to make this work well, specially if you are switching to spinning primarily for pencil poppers which cast very well. line slap obviously has and effect but when using light braid I have found that a little line slap doesnt make that much of a difference in distance. as you said it is for you so you can work it to an acceptable level. have you already purchased the battle 400. i have one and have problem with it using braid. though is was just me then found a post here where a number of people have had the same problem, line coming off the spool in coils and getting knots, too many people with the same experiences to be simply user error. it just seems to be that model to which is to bad cause it seems like a great little reel otherwise. do a search for the thread.

I want to thank you all for your responses to my question. I am going to try out the double-footed K guides. Sorry to have not thanked you all sooner but I have been offline for a while. Best regards, Tom

Tom ,

IMHO just build it optimized for conventional , your primary use is convention so build it that way. Braid is so forgiving that when you slap that spinner on there it really doesn,t matter . As you said yourself you are only short casting.

All my early spinning rods were just my conventional fished upside-down . Back then I was viewed as a googan , I should have been considered a NCG pioneer.

I think you might run into some problems with wind knots when you switch over to a spinning reel. The fuji K series will help with this, but not completely eliminate the problem. Just my .02, but I'd say static test the guides for both  fgc spinning and conventional, and see if you can find a happy medium. It may be as easy as adding an extra guide.

I can take a piece of braid line and saw a rod blank in two.

My theory, FWIW, is that line slap over a long time, will cause damage to the blank in the area where line slap occurs.

Don't ignore it; fix it. JMHO C2

Cast it hard when you are trying guide placements. I put an Empro on one of my conventionals and consistently snapped the line on hard casts. As you probably guessed, the loops were finding the collector guide and snagging. You say you are just going to flip cast, but what will you do when the fish are busting 65 yards out?