Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shbeachbum

NJ shuts down state's river herring fishery

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

From the Asbury Park Press today

TRENTON — New Jersey environmental officials have shut down the state’s river herring fishery.

The Press of Atlantic City (http://*******/wOD9p8) reports that the decision made late this week came in part because the state doesn’t have the necessary personnel or funding to collect the data it needs to prove the fishery is sustainable.

The ruling means the herring — which are often used in the bait business — can no longer be caught with nets and then sold.

It also bars recreational anglers from targeting the herring and, if they happen to catch one, must immediately throw it back.

And commercial fishermen who work offshore and land river herring in federal waters as an accidental by-catch of squid, mackerel and Atlantic herring operations cannot sell the river herring in New Jersey

We've had it closed here in Ct. for a few years now. But even so, the herring stocks are not what they once were, from what I can tell. The Alewife's too!

Welcome to the New World Order. Like Jimmy Z said it's been closed here in CT for a few years now. :mad: So let me get this straight. They don't know if they have a healthy population or not but they are going to shut it down anyway. That makes sense. :kook:

Shoot me for saying it but the river herring are in serious decline. Once upon a time I could get fresh herring to liveline and bring some home to the fridge so I could cutbait while I fished for more fresh bait. Towards the end I was cutbaiting everything I got just to make it last. It was really apparent near the power plant in Trenton less and less showed up year after year and days going by without seeing signs of any herring when they used to be plentiful is a bad sign.

I know this may be a reach but, has anyone ever considered the population of those darn Cormorants? I know where i fish, there are so many. They themselves can put a huge dent in the populations.

I know this may be a reach but, has anyone ever considered the population of those darn Cormorants? I know where i fish, there are so many. They themselves can put a huge dent in the populations.

Pretty sure they've been around for a long time... They're not responsible for the decline in herring or any other fish, we are.

They been off the menu here in Mass for a few years. Our herring runs are all in serious decline. One thing I was surprised to learn about not using them is that I enjoy not using them. The effort to get them and keep them half way alive is gone and I'm much more inclined to run and gun with large soft baits covering much more water.

Pretty sure they've been around for a long time... They're not responsible for the decline in herring or any other fish, we are.

I agree...

I think let this happen for a year or two and see what happens.. nı point in killing off the few that are left.

Its absolutely classic New Jersey. You have to give the state this; they are at least consistent in their total fail of managing trophy fisheries.

Just like the Salt Water License, NJ did not enact or even hit the proper deadlines. Instead they slouch, disseminate, and creep towards responsible fisheries regulations by missing deadlines, not collecting proper data, and only making change when the FEDS force us to. Very good. Bravo. :th:

Fact is the herring fishing should have been shut down years ago. So guys complaining should thank your stars that you got literally shoot fish in a barrel using herring when all other states have shut it down long ago. People around the country make fun of NJ for alot of things, but in my estimation our total lack of a proper plan to manage this states natural resources are the real embarrassment.

I live one the Delaware river and usually fish one of the Trenton bridges during the spring run. At least NJ and PA both have closed the Herring fishery! It never made any sense to me when one state closes or limits a species and the neighboring state leaves it open. Like in NJ summer flounder 18"+, but drive a hour or two south and they have 13" minimal. Whats sense doe's that make. If the species is in decline, it is in decline down the coast. I hate to say it, but I think the government should step in and regulate both sport fishing and commercial fishing as a whole. One  set of rules for sport fishing down the east coast and one set for commercial fisherman!