Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BrianBM

Responding to phishing emails

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

You get some email advising you to CLICK HERE to start the process of updating your account information, or something. What's the best way to respond? Should you forward it to the actual company that's supposedly contacting you?

I got an email advising me that my PayPal account had been accessed, and to CLICK HERE to start the process of reviewing my account information and making any corrections needed. (I don't have a PayPal account) I reflexively deleted it. Would it have been a better idea to forward the thing to PayPal with a note attached advising that they may wish to try and trace the scammer, to defend themselves?

You get some email advising you to CLICK HERE to start the process of updating your account information, or something. What's the best way to respond? Should you forward it to the actual company that's supposedly contacting you?

I got an email advising me that my PayPal account had been accessed, and to CLICK HERE to start the process of reviewing my account information and making any corrections needed. (I don't have a PayPal account) I reflexively deleted it. Would it have been a better idea to forward the thing to PayPal with a note attached advising that they may wish to try and trace the scammer, to defend themselves?

Would it have been a better idea to forward the thing to PayPal with a note attached advising that they may wish to try and trace the scammer, to defend themselves?

If you clicked on "the thing" to forward it, could doing so infect your computer?

I don't know.

I ran into this a few times trying to access bank accounts I closed years ago.

I contacted the bank ( or creditor ) and asked them about it.

They gave me a web address to forward it to which investigates it.

They recommend NOT replying to the e-mail. Just forward it to their fraud investigation unit.

I forward that kind of stuff to this site and I also forward to which ever company they are suppost to be representing.

http://www.us-cert.gov/nav/report_phishing.html

Google mail, Yahoo mail, Microsoft mail, etc; all have a web adress you can forward the phony crap to.

I don't know if it does any good or not but I do it anyway, just in the hope that I can screw up the life of the person (s) who sent it to me if they get caught.

Dennis