Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bluebird

Kayak Racks for Pick'em up trucks

9 posts in this topic

It's not the only option but it is an option. You can fit up to 4 yaks with this rack. Thule 400XT Aero Rack. I have one on my Ford F 150 set up for 2 kayaks. One kayak fits on J hooks and the other on 873 carriers to hold one kayak fully loaded. It's easier to load a fully loaded kayak upright onto the 873 saddles by myself by using the tail gate to slide it up. Works great.

Found a picture of a Colorado with the rack on it.

that first pic is my truck. i have since also added ski carriers for my rods. i usually just throw the kayak in the bed, and only use the racks for my rods(which i love!) and when i stay overnight somewhere, i stick the yak on the roof and i'm able to lock it with a cable.

I have a colorado with extended cab too. I went with Yakima. On the front I have the q towers, 58' bar, mako saddles, and a boat loader. On the back I have the dry dock, 58" bar, and hully rollers. I have an outback and a revo (just got it as you can see) and have been told I can get both up there, but I'm not sure how I'm going to do it yet. I'm sure if I add a j cradle it'll work, but I'm hoping to get them both up there sitting right side up ...might need wider bars to do that, we'll see.

Pros:

- super secure

- pretty easy to load with boat loader

- bed is completely free

Cons:

- tail gate can't open

- straps to stabilize dry dock can pop off on big bumps in the road

- price

Oh, and I put a picture of a rubber mat that I carry with me. When lifting one half of the yak to the boat loader, the end on the ground (when on hard surface) wants to slide out. The rubber mat prevents it.

download.jpeg

Rubber Mat:

img?url=http%3A%2F%2Fimages.lowes.com%2Fproduct%2Fconverted%2F696182%2F696182000398lg.jpg&ttl=30d